Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

MissionControl in a Microsoft-only environment

• MissionControl in a Microsoft-only environment

Posted 12 years 3 weeks ago
    • A recent client's requirements called for installing Joomla 2.5 using IIS 7.5 and SQL Server 2008.

When installing MissionControl, several modules were not visible on the Dashboard, and the Editor "chooser" was not available. (see attached)

Using:
      Joomla 2.5.4
      MissionControl 2.5
      PHP 5.3.10
      IIS 7.5 (on Windows Server 2008 R2)
      SQL Server 2008 R2

If this isn't a platform that will be supported, it'd be great to say so.

Thanks, RT.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: MissionControl in a Microsoft-only environment

• The problem is the installation uses mysql-specific queries. Up to this point the vast majority of Joomla extensions assume you are using mysql and there is very little support for other databases even though technically it's now possible with Joomla 2.5.

Developing on for Windows and specifically SQL Server (which is a commercial db server) is not as simple or convenient as developing for a completely free LAMP stack that you can install on any computer. Windows, Mac, Linux etc. It's extra difficult when the extension in question is a GPL labour-of-love project like MissionControl.

Now if some die-hard windows users want to pick up the slack and sort out the issues, i'm more than willing to integrate those back into the distribution.

My personal opinion is that your going to have a really tough time building a Joomla site on SQL Server if you plan on using any third-party extensions. I would not advise it at this point in time.
  • Re: MissionControl in a Microsoft-only environment

• Don't forget that [MS] SQL Server has a "free" version, too;
      http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

Definitely aware, and agree that I've got a tough road, setting up this project.

But, like you say, MC is a labor-of-love.

If an individual (such as myself) were inspired to provide MSSQL translations, would I be looking to simply update the installation SQL files? (I'd assume they'd need to be translated for the template, modules, and plugins)

Or does the code need to be updated, to leverage the JDatabaseQuery classes?

If you'll provide some basic guidance, I'll do my best to help keep MC at the forefront of Joomla development.
      (because, what while 99% of J! users *are* on MySQL, I hope you'll agree, that the possibilities in the future are amazing and tantalizing, once J!-app-devs get on board)

• I've taken a look at the code, and have a sense of what may be needed.

• Alright.

I've gone through the modules and plugins, and updated the helpers to use the JDatabaseQuery API. (changes attached)

I've tested them on 2.5.4 installs, and am getting back data exactly as before.

Now that the queries have been updated, I'll start to update them as best I can, to be SQLSVR-compatible.
      I also haven't looked at the template yet. I was going to save that (the best?) for last. :)

Will update here when I have news.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• There was an added set of queries in the rokusersstats module for MissionControl 2.5. This gets the size of two audit tables. This is very msyql code, and i'm not sure it's even possible with the jdatabase classes. Did you run into trouble with that one?

• Totally possible with the JDatabaseQuery class. (as you'll see in the changes)

But I'm thinking it may be a feature, made unavailable when operating in an SQL Svr environment, due to the lack of information_schema.

(But I haven't consulted an MSSQL friend yet)

• Also, didn't see the MC 2.6 update until just now.
      FYI, the changes submitted were branched from MissionControl 2.5.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• was a one line-very-minor-fix.. i'll take a look at your patches for 2.7

• I'm 99% finished.
      There's still testing to be done on the SQLSRV changes, but if you'll run this code through your normal test-cases, I think everything should [still] be working for MySQL.

Hopefully I can get the MSSQL tests done soon.
      (I'm providing it early, so you can vet the code when/if you've time)

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds