Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Which templates will be updated to Gantry 5?

• Which templates will be updated to Gantry 5?

Posted 3 years 8 months ago
    • Do you have a list of which templates will (or will NOT) be updated for Gantry 5? We are looking ahead to Joomla 4, and a few of the templates we have used (Cygnet and Paradigm) are still only Gantry 4. Do you know if they will be updated to Gantry 5 or if we should start making plans for a future move to another template?

It is my understanding that all Gantry 5 templates will be updated to work with Joomla 4, correct? (Chimera & Salient, in particular)?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Which templates will be updated to Gantry 5?

Posted 3 years 8 months ago
    • We're converting Gantry 4 templates to Gantry 5 on a popularity basis (i.e. our most popular templates in Gantry 4 are converted in order). I can't give you a schedule of which templates are going to be converted and which are not because it really does depend on the dev team workload.

To move to Joomla 4 is going to require substantial changes to Gantry 5 - this work has already started but it's not possible to complete it until Joomla 4 is officially released. Then, each Gantry 5 template is also going to require modification - clearly we can't do the entire back catalog in one go, so it's going to take time to work through all of those. Also, it's also likely that some of your own content is also going to require changing to support Joomla 4 too.

I should also remind you that at the same time Joomla release Joomla4 they will also release J3.10 which will be supported for another two years at least - so there is absolutely no need to rush to start using Joomla 4.

This is the official blog article that explains our approach to Joomla 4 https://rockettheme.com/blog/joomla/277-looking-forward-to-joomla-4-and-beyond . As you will see the article was written some time ago and Joomla have delayed and delayed Joomla 4 release - but, fundamentally, our approach remains unchanged at this time, given what we know now.

On one final point, I will state that if you are using any of RT extensions (e.g. roksprocket, rokpad, rokbox, etc) it is highly unlikely that they will be made to work on Joomla 4. All our extensions are free and it is just not commercially viable to convert all of these very old extensions to work with Joomla 4 - that's why in Gantry 5 we introduced "particles" and stopped using our own RT extensions.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds