Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Not Finding Available Updates

• esaumd
    • Rocketeer

Joomla Not Finding Available Updates

Posted 12 years 8 months ago
    • Hello Rocketers,

Approximately a month ago I did a clean install of Joomla 1.6.3 (my first one). Today, I went into the extension manager to use the new "Automatic Core Update" feature within Joomla 1.6, because I knew that Joomla 1.6.4 and 1.6.5 had been released already.

So, I went ahead and pressed the "Find Updates" button . . . and again, and again, again. But the result was always the same: "There are no updates available at the moment. Please check again later." Nothing! Joomla couldn't find the new available updates.

This is what the Joomla Documentation site says about this issue:

"In version 1.6.2 and earlier, the database row was disabled, but there was no way for the row to be re-enabled without manually editing the database.

Starting with Joomla version 1.6.3, this has been changed to that, when you press the Purge Cache toolbar button, it automatically re-enables any disabled rows in the jos_update_sites table. Then, assuming the update server is back on line, the Find Updates command will now succeed.
      "

You can read more about this here: http://docs.joomla.org/Why_doesn%27t_the_Find_Updates_function_work%3F

A few minutes later, I pressed the "Purge Cache" toolbar button to see if that would work. I did get a new message: "Purged updates, 3 disabled sites were enabled."

But after clicking the "Find Updates" button again I got the following error message:

" Update: :Collection: Could not open update.joomla.org/core/list.xml
      Update: :Collection: Could not open update.joomla.org/jed/list.xml
      Update: :Extension: Could not open www.gantry-framework.org/updates/joomla16/gantry.xml
      "

Finally, at that point I lost all hope and manually installed the update for Joomla 1.6.4 (security update) and then Joomla 1.6.5 (this is an update for the extension manager update function). Joomla 1.7 will be out on the 19th of this month . . . at least that's what they are saying. And in order to avoid future update issues Joomla recommends to be running Joomla 1.6.5 before upgrading to Joomla 1.7.

I would like to see from some experts comment about my issue. What should I do to fix this problem? Will I have issues in the future?

After manually installing all updates things seem to be the same. I don't have any other problems except for the ones described above in red.
    • Bob Ateah
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla Not Finding Available Updates

• Another reason why I'm sticking with J 1.5.x for production sites until 1.6 matures a bit more.

Sorry that this does not answer your questions, good luck and cheers.
    • The member formerly known as Roland Deschain
      After your question is solved, please Edit your original post and choose the Solved message icon, thank you!
  • Re: Joomla Not Finding Available Updates

• I've been having the EXACT same problem and I have also manually upgraded to 1.6.4 and then to 1.6.5. Still no luck for me. If you find a solution, please post it here. I will do the same.

• Found a solution:

Create a php.ini file with just the following line in it:

allow_url_fopen = on

Upload it to the root of your "administrator" directory. Go back into extension manager > update. Purge the cache, then click Find Updates. Let me know if it works for you too.
    • The following users have thanked you: Jacob Stanfield

• esaumd
    • Rocketeer

• @ MikeMikeMike

Thank you for your suggestion. I am more of a purist when it comes to fixing things. I don't like kludges. And I don't feel comfortable having two php.ini files in my root folder. I hope that with the information that you provided someone is able to suggest a better solution. Thanks for sharing.

• If you already have a php.ini you can add it to that one. I don't use php.ini that's why I created a blank one. Also, it goes in the administrator folder, not the root of your site. But yes, I agree that something should be done so it can work without enabling this setting. I have to put it back immediately afterwards because it breaks components in my back end,.

Posted 10 years 9 months ago
    • Update: :Collection: Could not parse updates.rockettheme.com/joomla16/updates.xml

That's what I get on a certain site. I have just updated Joomla and am not using a Rockettheme template, but I am using a few Rockettheme extensions, the most prominent one being Mission Control.

Since Mission Control is no longer that useful, I deleted it. This seems to have solved the problem. Just to be sure I installed the latest versions of the others that I was using, and now they update just fine.

The .ini file trick did nothing.
    • techgal
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 10 years 9 months ago

Posted 9 years 5 months ago
    • MikeMikeMike wrote:
      Found a solution:

Create a php.ini file with just the following line in it:

allow_url_fopen = on

Upload it to the root of your "administrator" directory. Go back into extension manager > update. Purge the cache, then click Find Updates. Let me know if it works for you too.

Worked for me! Thanks Mike..Mike..Mike!!!
    • Thanks.
      Senior Multimedia Designer
      This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds