Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Hostgator Outage

• Hostgator Outage

Posted 10 years 9 months ago
    • are you being affected by hostgator data center outage this morning?

I've never had an server outage this long on hostgator.
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web
  • Re: Hostgator Outage

• yes I am affected. this stinks!
    • Gene Page
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Hostgator Outage

• I've lost one my main clients today because of this failure. Definitely need to find another host, but is host migration is painful and is really hard to find a good host.

what is your host?
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web
    • Kathy Rose
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Freelance web development and design

• I noticed some off-and-on outage with my hostgator clients' sites today, but it was more like they were blinking in and out a little -- they weren't down for very long.

I'm so sorry for those who had longer outages to deal with. That's agonizing!
    • Kathy
      KT Web Design
      developing Joomla websites in the sweet, sunny South
    • Gene Page
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hugo Avila wrote:
      I've lost one my main clients today because of this failure. Definitely need to find another host, but is host migration is painful and is really hard to find a good host.

what is your host?

I had a Hostgator VPS. I was paying $140 a month. For that much I had over 100GB of space.

What they don't want you to know when you sign up is that they have a 1 million inode limit on VPS's.

If you don't know what that means, look it up. One million may sound like a lot, but the average J! site will run between 10,000 and 30,000 inodes with the potential to grow well beyond this as a client adds photos, pdfs, videos. And then there's emails. Every email is equal to one inode. A 500mb email account can get up to 100,000 emails.

Where am I going with this...

I got around 40 websites on my VPS when Hostgator, WITHOUT WARNING OR NOTIFICATION shutdown all my clients websites because I had reached their arbitrary limit - which they never told me existed. How did Hostgator offer to solve this problem? By charging me more. Keep in mind, at the time I was paying $140 a month and was nowhere near hitting my 100GB storage limit. Naturally I started looking elsewhere.

Paul Van Westen at NoNumber.nl turned me on to Siteground . Wouldn't you know it... They had the same VPS set up WITH NO INODE LIMIT and it was cheaper. A lot cheaper.

Their other hosting plans do have limits, but they're all very reasonable.

As for migrating, they did all the hard parts for me. But there are some unavoidable inconveniences. Make sure you get Akeeba Backups on all your sites.
    • Show Support for These Requests...

Automatic K2 Tags for RokSprocket ->
      www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=16...86380&rb_v=viewtopic

Option for K2 Video instead of Image for RokSprocket (like JoomlaBamboo's ZenTools) ->...

• Gene Page wrote:
      What they don't want you to know when you sign up is that they have a 1 million inode limit on VPS's.

Yes I found that the hard way also. In my case I got a reseller and moved the less important & high node usage accounts to the reseller account and I kept the vps for important clientes, like te one I've lost today.
      Gene Page wrote:
      Paul Van Westen at NoNumber.nl turned me on to Siteground . Wouldn't you know it... They had the same VPS set up WITH NO INODE LIMIT and it was cheaper. A lot cheaper.

I couldn't find the VPS in Siteground website.
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web
    • Gene Page
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hugo Avila wrote:
      Gene Page wrote:

Yes I found that the hard way also. In my case I got a reseller and moved the less important & high node usage accounts to the reseller account and I kept the vps for important clientes, like te one I've lost today.
      Gene Page wrote:

I couldn't find the VPS in Siteground website.

They call it Cloud Hosting now. We're slaves to buzzwords.
    • Show Support for These Requests...

Automatic K2 Tags for RokSprocket ->
      www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=16...86380&rb_v=viewtopic

Option for K2 Video instead of Image for RokSprocket (like JoomlaBamboo's ZenTools) ->...
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Posted 10 years 8 months ago
    • HG is in the process of migrating many of its sites to a more powerful reliable server platform. If they decide to move your host, they will give you 24-72 hours notice and ask you to make a back-up of your data, and promise no data will be lost, but in the worst case scenario, your site may go offline for 4-6 hours.

They just moved one of my sites and I experienced not a giggle or a burp.

I have used them for about 6 years now and have never had downtime, but most importantly, their service is within minutes or hours instead of a day or days.
    • Thanks,
      jim

Posted 10 years 8 months ago
    • They migrated my vps like two weeks ago, with zero down time. After that my vps rensponds a bit faster.

I've been about 3 years with hostgator and never had an outage like this (about 6 hrs).

To be honest hostgator support now is not as fast as it was last year, in daytime you have to wait an average of 30 min for chat. Support via tickets still reasonable fast and most of the time they give you great answers.

Even when I've lost an important client, I think I will give them another chance.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Hugo.
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds