Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Does anybody know this?

• malmerl
    • Hero Rocketeer

Does anybody know this?

Posted 9 years 5 months ago
    • I have a site i set up for UK client and the website is for the UK.

The site uses siteground to host it and they tell me it is hosted in Holland and as such is following their online laws.

My siteground hosted site (in Amsterdam) is taking money via paypal for registering clients interested in a plot of land in UK.

I am responsible as web designer to have the clients (the owner ot the site where the paypal payments are going) name, address and number displayed?

Is that law and if so can I be sued if not displayed???

They don’t want to display these details as they signed an exclusivity agreement with owner of the land.

People on facebook are already calling it a scam although they have had quite a lot of people register…….

AM I safe???
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Does anybody know this?

• Hi there,

The only way to know for sure would be take legal advice.

My first thoughts are that any 'exclusivity' contract usually means that your client will not use any third parties to do the work and that the only work they will do of that nature will be exclusive to their client. Obviously it will depend on the wording of the contract.

In theory the client could be prosecuted for breaking the law and they in turn could sue you if it was you who provided the hosting. They will say they relied on your expertise and knowledge to guide them.

You may need to take legal advice to see if that is indeed required in Holland. Also to see if the UK is the same or different. If different then find a UK based host and move the site.

I know that any 'business' cannot use privacy settings for their domain name on co.uk names. The problems creep in when you try to define the word 'business' in terms of a legal entity.

In my opinion there is no good reason for anyone who is taking payment for a service to remain anonymous. I guess any normal person, including a judge, would feel the same.

I have a dedicated server in the UK purely because it means I am governed by UK law so my UK clients at least have some protection and can consult UK based lawyers for clarification.

PLEASE NOTE - This is my opinion and NOT qualified legal advice!

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • malmerl
    • Hero Rocketeer

• thank you David

where do i start asking about advice? is there a website somewhere.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Malmerl,

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere specific. If you want to define the situation then you will probably need to consult with a Dutch lawyer for the situation in Holland an English Lawyer for the UK.

Anything else is just guesswork. As a developer I have professional indemnity insurance that covers me for up to £5m should I get sued.

Sorry I can't provide more information but Internet Law is a minefield.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• malmerl wrote:
      I have a site i set up for UK client and the website is for the UK.

The site uses siteground to host it and they tell me it is hosted in Holland and as such is following their online laws.

My siteground hosted site (in Amsterdam) is taking money via paypal for registering clients interested in a plot of land in UK.

I am responsible as web designer to have the clients (the owner ot the site where the paypal payments are going) name, address and number displayed?
      As long as its your domain name i think they can remain anonymous on your web pages. If your client is running their domain through your hosting then yes .... they do need to provide legal /whois details
      Is that law and if so can I be sued if not displayed???
      As david hads correctly said - a dutch lawyer to get the 100% correct answer

They don’t want to display these details as they signed an exclusivity agreement with owner of the land.

People on facebook are already calling it a scam although they have had quite a lot of people register…….
      AM I safe???
      Deep down sounds very scammy to me but thats only a personal opinion

I have several people use one of my domains and hosting (new zealand based) who take donations from paypal and we do not break paypal TOS - they do not have their real names posyed on my websites BUT paypal do have their real names tied to the accounts they are using
      So all a customer sees on my site is the reason xxxyyy is asking for money and a paypal donation button which leeds to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
      You have to read paypal TOS very very carefully or you might get his AND YOUR accounts locked (happened to me when one clients site was rated adult site by paypal as one picture on their page showed a breast) - as my website was linked to his accounts ALL accounts on my webpage got banned as well ---- so be very careful dealing with paypal

Also there has been some major changes to their TOS regarding crowd funding and your buddy might just break their TOS with the way he is doing real estate and get he may get your butt banned like I did above

more info here if i got the right page
      www.paypal.com/nz/webapps/helpcenter/hel...YPAL_BASICS_CA&m=TCI

But as David has said
      A Lawyer is your best friend and can save your site getting blacklistted or banned

hope my experiances with paypal help
      Scott

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds