Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Domain Mapping?

• sbrant
    • Hero Rocketeer

Domain Mapping?

Posted 9 years 5 months ago
    • Hey forum folk. I have a client that supplied a host for me to build their new site in. It came with a default domain say, xyb.com. When the site was completed, they redirected another domain to the root but they do not wish to actually move the correct domain to the host. Let me try to clarify this:

1. xyb.com is the default (primary) domain of of the host (server partition) I have access to, 1&1.
      2. correct_xyb.com is the domain that should be the primary of the site I built under xyb.com
      3. The client refuses to transfer correct_xyb.com to the host account they supplied me with and instead is redirecting all traffic from correct_xyb.com TO xyb.com

So, obviously there are some data tracking issues. I'm currently struggling with submitting a site map through Google Webmaster. I use the Xmap component to generate sitempas and have no trouble with it until now. What I believe is happening is that Google is refusing the sitemap because the webmaster account is set up for correct_xyb.com BUT the actual site map is coming from xyb.com. The client does not want me to use the xyb.com account to track data.

IS there a way to mask, map, or somehow set things up so correct_xyb.com is the domain xmap uses? I've tried setting correct_xyb.com as the live site in configuration and it does change the path of the generate Xmap file - but there is no content as teh actual links are still xyb.com. I've also tried changing the shown domain in htaccess - no love.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Even if its just a point in a direction.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Domain Mapping?

• this might help

www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/...without-changing-url

but ultimately you need to dig into Google Analytics/Webmasters tools documents to see if you can actually track data this way...

I would think everything would just like a bunch of referrals... not giving you very good traffic data.

that being said... all of this makes no sense to me... Tell you client to update their Nameservers to point to the 1&1 Name Servers... they can totally keep control of their domain/registrar and just point it to the new servers without giving you control of the domain... the redirection seems pointless to me
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • sbrant
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hey, thanks for the reply. To make it even more complex, the second account that owns correct_xyb.com is ALSO with 1&1! So, changing the name server wouldn't work. I believe they would need to transfer the domain between accounts. And, I agree - it makes no sense. They own both accounts. I think its an ego trip / pissing contest somewhere up the line.

I'll give the link a read. Thanks again.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• If they're both with the same hosting I completely don't understand the need for the existence of correct_xyb.com... just have 1&1 point the old domain at the new domain's root and get rid of the new domain...

/2 cents, good luck
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • sbrant
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Exactly. But, they are being obstinant. So, my only option is to roll with it until I find something they will loose if they continue to be so. But, I dont want to go back to them and say - sorry, because of the forward you cant submit sitemaps to Google - to have them say back - Oh really? Here's how...

The link you provided is what I tried in the htaccess. Doesnt work for forwarded/redirected domains.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• you really need to dig into how Google Analytics works then... sorry, I am not an expert... maybe this will help:

productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/analytics/KQ2RPsLR35Y

... with that... lets talk outloud about Google WMT...

To Verify a domain in WMT you need to do so by linking it to an Analytics account or placing code on the concerned site... lets say you have an analytics account set up on correct_xyb.com ~ it would then be easy enough to setup a WMT account for that domain... so lets say you get that far... now you want to submit a sitemap for correct_xyb.com but it will actually live on xyb.com -- so long as WMT can fetch at sitemap from correct_xyb.com/sitemap.xml it should work... so long as correct_xyb.com/sitemap.xml correctly redirects to xyb.com/sitemap.xml to pull the resource...it should work.... maybe lol

However, I see no way that you can first set up analytics on xyb.com and have it verify in WMT for correct_xyb.com... nor can I see a way where you could place the verification code on xyb.com and still verify for correct_xyb.com... maybe Google allows redirection here and maybe it doesnt, I dont know...

If you can somehow get correct_xyb.com setup in WMT by verifying code that lives on xyb.com.... or for Analytics that installed on xyb.com then you might have a fighting chance... but if you can't get that far, I don't see how it'd ever be possible

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds