Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Managing members in WP or Joomla (or other)?

• Sue B
    • Hero Rocketeer

Managing members in WP or Joomla (or other)?

Posted 9 years 3 months ago
    • Can anyone recommend a membership (or other) system that we could investigate for our club?

I'm trying to get a handle on membership systems in either WP (what we currently use) or Joomla (what we previously used but could go back to). As a minimum, we need something to record members personal details (name, address etc) and receive monies (membership fees).

I did look at CMS systems, but though they were excellent, they were also out of our league price-wise (>$30K).

Because of the data we'd be collecting, the system we use would have to be secure (which is why I initially went for CMS).

Background: We're a non-profit club with a few thousand (maybe 3000) members. Because we're a social club historically connected to a govt dept who collects most of the membership fees for us via payroll etc, currently they (the members) are now managed by at least three different HR systems, plus awkward manual pay in advance methods, that have evolved into weird beasts over the last 85 years.

So, we're looking at taking over the payments ourselves before the worst happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Managing members in WP or Joomla (or other)?

• I don't have a recommendation...

if it were me though, I'd focus on what you're focusing on... customers/members and payment processing...

So to me, that's an eCommerce solution first and foremost...

For Joomla there are plenty of carts to look at and I would argue that the default Joomla users/member functionality is superior to WordPress'.

Virtuemart, ecwid, mijoshop, reshop, etc

There are plenty of carts and advanced user management systems for Wordpress as well...

WooCommerce... uh... some others I'm sure :)

But you may be plenty happy with a more managed/hosted solution in Shopify or BigCommerce as well... it all depends how involved/customized you want/need to be...

Magento is the best open sourced full-suite of eCom tools out there IMO... but it might be overkill for what you're trying to do. It can handle all your users/customers needs and it has recurring payments/subscription management built-in for PayPal processing.

OpenCart is cool too :)

Good luck!
    • The following users have thanked you: Sue B

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Sue B
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Managing members in WP or Joomla (or other)?

• Thanks for those suggestions, Matt.

I hadn't considered an ecommerce solution. Eep. More research for me! But it'll be worth it once the solution (whatever that turns out to be) is in place and working.

Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds