Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Re: More stealing of RocketTheme

• Bob Ateah
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Re: More stealing of RocketTheme

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • Barbara wrote:
      ricidulious as it may be Andy -- it's a situation that you will be facing from now on again and again

my suggestion to you is to find out his ip of his site

and contact his webhosting provider

hopefully if an etical host will pull the site down... (you must read the terms of the host and see what his terms and conditions are in regards to content)

inconvience for the site owner definetly -

especailly since he may face no warning of his site being gone -- and no way to retrieve his current information

(unless he has backed up his site)

just a suggestion

barb

We all could contact his web host... [insert evil emoticon here]... the squeeky wheel gets the grease...
    • The member formerly known as Roland Deschain
      After your question is solved, please Edit your original post and choose the Solved message icon, thank you!
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• The info that Roland sent suggests that the offender might be in the US. There is a cut-rate hosting company in Pheonix that's pretty popular in the Southwest US. I can't remember the name, though. If it turns out to be there, it's not far from here to take a quick trip over to break some legs.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Re: More stealing of RocketTheme

• Dear RocketTheme Members,

I personally know the individual that is referenced above in this post and Andy Miller is aware of this. Unfortunately, it was a bad decision on this individual's part to have utilized Andy's themes and the standard SolarFlare theme on his site, however, this individual had made it clear to Andy that he had used them for testing a demo showcase page he was working on.

I am not defending this persons actions to any extent, I myself had a few choice words to say as well, but everyone here is acting like this guy was making money on Andy's designs, which he has told me he communicated clearly to Andy. Does anyone here really think someone out there would join a template club with RocketTheme links on the bottom of the templates??? Not to mention, any person here at RocketTheme could see from the link that this site was no where near being a finished product. Come on, you all seem more intelligent than that!

I will only say this, I have seen several members in this club post links to their modified RocketTheme templates and have removed the RocketTheme credentials and link from the bottom of their pages, I find this much more disrespectful to Andy Miller and his great designs then some "idiot" not knowing how to setup a demo showcase and using Andy's templates to set the page up.

I stand behind Andy and what he has done here at RocketTheme and for Joomla and the entire design community. I think more members should spend less time filling this guys email box with hate mail and more time helping each other out, that's just my 2 cents. Sometimes good people feel bad enough about their poor decisions.

Two wrongs don't make a right! ;)

P.S. If you feel that my message is way off base, feel free to share that with me, however, let's keep the negativity out of this great site, send me a PM instead. Thanks.

-iamheaddown [Skydiver at Heart!]
    • Beaker ROCKS!
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• If the person is just altering the templates for a project or for testing, I don't see anything wrong with that.

However, if the person is selling them to others as his own or as pirated templates, that's not good.

The site is down at the moment. That's odd. Wonder what that's about?

dave
    • Yves
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• iamheaddown wrote:
      I will only say this, I have seen several members in this club post links to their modified RocketTheme templates and have removed the RocketTheme credentials and link from the bottom of their pages, I find this much more disrespectful to Andy Miller and his great designs then some "idiot" not knowing how to setup a demo showcase and using Andy's templates to set the page up.

Just one thing, this is not disrespectful to Andy, as specified in Terms and Conditions :
      Modifications: You are authorized to make any necessary modification(s) to our products to fit your purposes. You may not however redistribute or release and modifications as GPL or otherwise. You must also not change or remove the copyright information in the header of the xml descriptor file. You may however remove the copyright from the footer of RTTC templates if needed.
    • Yves

• The site is down at the moment. That's odd. Wonder what that's about?

He has received very harrassing emails and communications from Andy's post and link. I think it's too bad that some people in this club deem it necessary to represent themselves in such a negative way.

P.S. I have and always will keep the copyright in the footer to give Andy credit for his work whether it states you can remove it in the Terms and Conditions or not. After seeing your post though Yves, I also understand that it is allowed. I just choose not to.

• Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by iamheaddown.
    • Beaker ROCKS!
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Well, I can certainly see your point. If the guy meant no harm, tell him that this is a forum with aopen-minded folks and he's welcome to post here and receive the help of the RT community. I know it would be hard for him, if in fact some have jumped to conclusions. I would like to extend a welcome to him. I'm sure the rest of the folks here would love to hear his comments and extend to him their apology personally, if he's interested. If he purchased a membership in the club, great support comes along with it. We'd love to have him on board. We're not monsters here. We just zealously guard the intellectual property of Andy, the great RT templates he creates and the talented and generous member submissions.

Do you think he'd come?

dave
    • Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by .

• I'm sure he will, I'm not sure if he would keep his same profile though given some of the crap he got, you would be shocked to see the messages, I have! I think Roland Deschain even proudly took credit for one of those nice jestures.

He understands though that is was no one's fault but his own. I'll leave his decision on if he'll participate here at RocketTheme in the future entirely up to him. ???

• Beaker ROCKS!
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Actually, I sent this individual one email in which I asked him to remove these templates. I've not recieved any reply from him as far as i'm aware. Anyway.. onwards and upwards.
      iamheaddown wrote:
      Dear RocketTheme Members,

I personally know the individual that is referenced above in this post and Andy Miller is aware of this. Unfortunately, it was a bad decision on this individual's part to have utilized Andy's themes and the standard SolarFlare theme on his site, however, this individual had made it clear to Andy that he had used them for testing a demo showcase page he was working on.

I am not defending this persons actions to any extent, I myself had a few choice words to say as well, but everyone here is acting like this guy was making money on Andy's designs, which he has told me he communicated clearly to Andy. Does anyone here really think someone out there would join a template club with RocketTheme links on the bottom of the templates??? Not to mention, any person here at RocketTheme could see from the link that this site was no where near being a finished product. Come on, you all seem more intelligent than that!

I stand behind Andy and what he has done here at RocketTheme and for Joomla and the entire design community. I think more members should spend less time filling this guys email box with hate mail and more time helping each other out, that's just my 2 cents. Sometimes good people feel bad enough about their poor decisions.

Two wrongs don't make a right! ;)

P.S. If you feel that my message is way off base, feel free to share that with me, however, let's keep the negativity out of this great site, send me a PM instead. Thanks.

• Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by Andy Miller.

• David Goodwin wrote:
      Well, I can certainly see your point. If the guy meant no harm, tell him that this is a forum with aopen-minded folks and he's welcome to post here and receive the help of the RT community. I know it would be hard for him, if in fact some have jumped to conclusions. I would like to extend a welcome to him. I'm sure the rest of the folks here would love to hear his comments and extend to him their apology personally, if he's interested. If he purchased a membership in the club, great support comes along with it. We'd love to have him on board. We're not monsters here. We just zealously guard the intellectual property of Andy, the great RT templates he creates and the talented anf generous member submissions.

Do you think he'd come?

dave

I second this... I was definitely sticking up for Andy and his hard work. Let's move on. Tell the user to get his/her butt in here and join in on this great theme club! ;D

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds