Welcome Guest! Login
1 items / $24.00 Checkout

SOLVED Newer Joomla Install -- Lost Admin Access

• SOLVED Newer Joomla Install -- Lost Admin Access

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Hello again,

Not sure "how" we did this... but when we set up a newer Joomla site (only about 20% work done in it so far) we neglected to write down our main admin access to the system... and have since forgoten how to access this site. (blushing)

Any ideas how I can go in to our FTP access area to reset the admin access for this site... without losing the work we've done so far and just doing an fresh install??

Any ideas / help will be greatly appreciated.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by Errin Hogan.
    • Errin

GIZMO PROJECT.com ID: creedworks

"If you are dealing with Kleptomania... its ok... you can take something for it."
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Newer Joomla Install -- Lost Admin Access

• I'm not sure but I think you must look at your DB. Perhaps you will find something in a table... ::)
  • Re: SOLVED Newer Joomla Install -- Lost Admin Access

• Franck is right. Check your MySQL database and browse the table jos_users. You should see your administrator account there with the corresponding email address. The password is encrypted, but if you take the username and email, you can go back to the login module and click on the lost password link. Enter your username and email address and a new password will be created and emailed to you.

• Thanks for the advice.

I placed the site in "offline" mode while working on it... so the only login I have access to is the ADMIN area login... and this doesn't offer a reset option (sigh)

Also, I've looked up and down in my FTP directory and can't find the MySQL location... any hints on finding this?
    • Errin

"If you are dealing with Kleptomania... its ok... you can take something for it."

• You can't get to it through FTP. Your host should have a way for you to access your MySQL database. My host has cPanel and I go to the MySQL databases and use PHPMyAdmin. I find the database and I can browse the tables. Check with your host to see how to access it. Also one trick I've used in this situation is going to the database of a site that I know the password for, finding the encrypted version of the password that is saved in the database, copy it, and paste it into the password field in site database that I don't know the password for. I would check with your host. They should be able to help you through the process.

Re: SOLVED Newer Joomla Install -- Lost Admin Access

• most webhosts that i have used provided a cpanel, and it's usually www.domain.com/cpanel

But each webhosts may be different.

Good luck

• THANKS FOR THE IDEAS!

Once I saw the user name for sure... it was easy to figure out the password.

Sigh... didn't even THINK to look in the cPanel.

Appreciate the help.
    • Errin

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds