Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

• RacerFX
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

Posted 12 years 3 months ago
    • abercrombi wrote:
      Vicki Garrison wrote:
      Thanks Andy! I appreciate further confirmation on the move from 1.7 to 2.5. That really helps a lot to confirm that I can start my move to 1.7 now without too many worries about 1.7 to 2.5. That will give me the freedom to wait to update to 2.5 until templates/extensions have been tested against the final release.

Thanks again! :D
      Hi Vicki,

I just saw this on Joomla's site and I thought of you :mrgreen: :

www.joomla.org/announcements/release-new...-beta1-released.html

What I really don't like is the fact that Joomla are now releasing updates like candy canes on christmas eve. :P I like to see updates, just not to the point where I have to perform a major upgrade every 6 months to a year. :P

abercrombi, it depends on what you are doing with the site. I still have client sites on 1.0xx. I plan on upgrading many of my client sites, but some that involve Virtuemart or other component/modules, can't take this step, yet. No need in jumping to the next version until you are completely ready to do so.
  • Re: Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

• SIPP wrote:
      abercrombi, it depends on what you are doing with the site. I still have client sites on 1.0xx. I plan on upgrading many of my client sites, but some that involve Virtuemart or other component/modules, can't take this step, yet. No need in jumping to the next version until you are completely ready to do so.
      Yes, I understand what you're saying SIPP, but upgrading 1.0xx to 2.5 would prove quite a difficult task, am I correct in thinking that?

If you see what I mean, I just find it very effortful to have to keep upgrading. If I fall behind it will become harder to upgrade in the future.
    • hunky dory!

• There are some conflicts between some RT db table ids and those of 2.5 upgrade package. Upgrade from 1.7 RT package is not possible without making manual changes in some db tables such as #_assets, #_extensions, #_menu
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Seniha Meliha wrote:
      There are some conflicts between some RT db table ids and those of 2.5 upgrade package. Upgrade from 1.7 RT package is not possible without making manual changes in some db tables such as #_assets, #_extensions, #_menu

What packages are you referring to exactly? Are you talking about upgrading a 1.7 RocketLauncher to 2.5?

• I have first installed Joomla using RT Visage launcher for 1.7.3 package.
      I have then tried to upgrade to 2.5 Beta 1 using Joomla 2.5 Beta 1 upgrade zip package via Joomla 1.7.3 extension update.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• we'll have to look at that, but sounds strange. Upgrading to 2.5 should only update the code, and not do any db changes. If there are db changes, it could potentially cause conflict on any site, not just the rocketlauncher, as the rocketlauncher is really just a sample site.

• Andy Miller wrote:
      Seniha Meliha wrote:
      There are some conflicts between some RT db table ids and those of 2.5 upgrade package. Upgrade from 1.7 RT package is not possible without making manual changes in some db tables such as #_assets, #_extensions, #_menu

What packages are you referring to exactly? Are you talking about upgrading a 1.7 RocketLauncher to 2.5?
      Will you please check RT launcher (Visage, Halcyon) sample_data.sql:
      In #_assets records #32-38 are reserved by RT components while 2.5 Beta installation sql reserves #33-38 for its own components.
      I had also this problem a while ago:
      I have used J 2.5 beta 1 package w/o sample data for a clean install then installed RT Halcyon bundle to install Gantry, template, Rokmodule etc.
      All RT template tabs are coming empty in template edit window.
      Will you please try to reproduce it?
      PS. I am on a local Linux server. Browsing with Opera 11.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• The RocketLaunchers are built by installing Joomla 1.7 and then installing components etc, via the standard Joomla installer. This installer in 1.7 assigned those ids, just as it would on any installed version of Joomla 1.7. All we do to create the RocketLauncher is export the sql so that when you install the sample data, you get all modules/components etc pre-installed.

What i'm saying is that even if you didn't install via a RocketLauncher, but used a standard Joomla 1.7 and installed any components from scratch, you would face the same problem. If the 2.5 upgrade package uses sql statements with hard-coded id's there's always a high likely hood of a conflict occurring. Especially if you've installed any extensions on that 1.7 installation.

• Then Joomla 2.5 Beta 1 installer needs some modifications as it will force the installer to use existing ids in its sql files. The following is the output after upgrading over RT Halycon 1.7.3 Launcher:
      JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL DB function failed with error number 1062 
      Duplicate entry '33' for key 'PRIMARY' SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_assets` (`id`, `parent_id`, `lft`, `rgt`, `level`, `name`, `title`, `rules`) VALUES (33,1,63,64,1,'com_finder','com_finder','{"core.admin":{"7":1},"core.manage":{"6":1}}');
      SQL = 
      INSERT INTO `#__assets` (`id`, `parent_id`, `lft`, `rgt`, `level`, `name`, `title`, `rules`) VALUES
      (33,1,63,64,1,'com_finder','com_finder','{"core.admin":{"7":1},"core.manage":{"6":1}}');
      Files Update: SQL error file DB function failed with error number 1062 
      Duplicate entry '33' for key 'PRIMARY' SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_assets` (`id`, `parent_id`, `lft`, `rgt`, `level`, `name`, `title`, `rules`) VALUES (33,1,63,64,1,'com_finder','com_finder','{"core.admin":{"7":1},"core.manage":{"6":1}}');
      SQL = 
      INSERT INTO `#__assets` (`id`, `parent_id`, `lft`, `rgt`, `level`, `name`, `title`, `rules`) VALUES
      (33,1,63,64,1,'com_finder','com_finder','{"core.admin":{"7":1},"core.manage":{"6":1}}');

• The statement
      in
      Joomla_2.5.0_Beta1-Update_Package.zip\administrator\components\com_admin\sql\updates\mysql\2.5.0-2011-12-21-1.sql
      should be changed to
      (76,1,63,64,1,'com_finder','com_finder','{"core.admin":{"7":1},"core.manage":{"6":1}}');
      if upgrade is over RT launcher pack w/ sample data.
      Regarding the template edit window problem in my earlier post it still persists.
      Either upgrading from RT launcher or installing RT template bundle on 2.5 beta will result in the same problem:
      Template parameters in Gantry template tabs are all invisible. Only tab-specific help is available.
      I don't know if you can reproduce the same.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds