Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

• Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

Posted 12 years 4 months ago
  • Re: Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update!

I have a 1.5 site that I want to move to 2.5 but would need to make this change by mid-February which could be a quick turn. So I have a couple questions:

1) Do you know how quickly you plan to have 2.5 templates available after the official release?

2) Also, do you know if a 1.7 site will be an easy update to 2.5 (like "one-click" as it was from 1.6 to 1.7?)? If it will be an easy update, I can go ahead and start migrating to 1.7 now without worrying about how quickly the 2.5 templates will be ready (or about doing a major overhaul like a month later...)

Thank you!
      Vicki

• Vicki Garrison wrote:
      Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update!

I have a 1.5 site that I want to move to 2.5 but would need to make this change by mid-February which could be a quick turn. So I have a couple questions:

1) Do you know how quickly you plan to have 2.5 templates available after the official release?

2) Also, do you know if a 1.7 site will be an easy update to 2.5 (like "one-click" as it was from 1.6 to 1.7?)? If it will be an easy update, I can go ahead and start migrating to 1.7 now without worrying about how quickly the 2.5 templates will be ready (or about doing a major overhaul like a month later...)

Thank you!
      Vicki
      ... i was told that 1.7 templates will be compatible with 2.5 (which i soooo hope is true!) ... but by the sounds of it, it's probably not going to be that way. it's unfortunate and a silly move of Joomla to make people convert everything from 1.5 to 6 to 7 and then to 2.5 so quickly. this is tiring me out. migrated to 1.7 just yesterday and going to have to again next year. :shock:
    • hunky dory!

• Thanks for the reply! It sounds like you're having similar issues- the timing can get a bit tricky for sure (though I am glad to see the updates)

So just to clarify- you're thinking that the one-click update may not work b/c the templates may not be compatible to easily make the switch?

I'm pretty sure joomla had a beta version of 2.5 up a couple of weeks ago but I don't see it anymore. I wish I had downloaded this b/c maybe I could have tried it with a 1.7 template to see if it worked. hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. do you know if anyone at rocket theme has done this?

• Well I did some research on the Joomla! forum, and this is what I got:

"With the changes that have been made during 1.7's lifetime, the move from 1.7 to 2.5 should be as simple as 1.7.1 to 1.7.2."

Apparently there were very minimal changes made during 1.7's lifetime so the upgrade to 2.5 shouldn't be too strenuous... I hope! And if the templates and extensions lose compatibility I'll be completely stumped. :(

But none the less... it sounds as though the upgrade won't be such a difficult migration as it was from 1.5 to 1.6.
    • hunky dory!

• But whatever happens... I'm glad I decided to upgrade to 1.7, because even if the upgrade path to 2.5 is a difficult one, (in which case I may just permanently stick with 1.7) I'll at least be two versions of the CMS up from 1.5, if you know what I mean. I'll be nearer to the latest release than if I'd stuck with 1.5. So I guess upgrading to 1.7 is a good decision. Sounds as though it'll ease some of the pain later on than if you decided to go from 1.5 to 2.5 anyway. ;)
    • hunky dory!

• abercrombi, Wow- thanks for doing a bit more research! It will be great if the 2.5 upgrade is as simple as that! (fingers crossed!)

You have been a great help and based on this I agree with you- it sounds like making the move to 1.7 will be a good bet. Thanks for helping me weigh the options! :D

Thank you again and Happy Holidays!
      Vicki
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Support Policy for Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and the Future!

• We are already testing our templates and extensions with the 2.5 beta 1 release. So far there are some few things that break but we plan on having these addressed by the time 2.5 is released officially.

Regarding 1.7 to 2.5, the upgrade will be a 'one-click' thing from the updater. However that doesn't mean that everything you have installed will work 100% when you upgrade Joomla itself. However the changes are not huge, and nothing like going from 1.5 to 1.6 was, and I expect 3rd party extensions to quickly get updates out to address any issues.
      Vicki Garrison wrote:
      Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update!

Thank you!
      Vicki

• Thanks Andy! I appreciate further confirmation on the move from 1.7 to 2.5. That really helps a lot to confirm that I can start my move to 1.7 now without too many worries about 1.7 to 2.5. That will give me the freedom to wait to update to 2.5 until templates/extensions have been tested against the final release.

Thanks again! :D

• Vicki Garrison wrote:
      Thanks Andy! I appreciate further confirmation on the move from 1.7 to 2.5. That really helps a lot to confirm that I can start my move to 1.7 now without too many worries about 1.7 to 2.5. That will give me the freedom to wait to update to 2.5 until templates/extensions have been tested against the final release.

Thanks again! :D
      Hi Vicki,

I just saw this on Joomla's site and I thought of you :mrgreen: :

www.joomla.org/announcements/release-new...-beta1-released.html

What I really don't like is the fact that Joomla are now releasing updates like candy canes on christmas eve. :P I like to see updates, just not to the point where I have to perform a major upgrade every 6 months to a year. :P
    • hunky dory!

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds