Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 1.6 - Setting Gantry to 16 columns

• David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Joomla 1.6 - Setting Gantry to 16 columns

Posted 12 years 9 months ago
    • With many members using Joomla 1.6 and Gantry having the ability to use 12 or 16 columns we are seeing more requests on how to set up 16 columns as the default. Please note the steps are different for Joomla 1.5 and this has been covered many times in the forums.

Here are the steps required.

In J!1.6 template values are stored in the database. This means that in J!1.6 changing a "hidden" value won't have an effect in the database.

So you have to add a field like the following to the template admin by editing the template-options.xml file that is in your template directory (e.g. rt_modulus_j16/template-options.xml)

The original code is...
      <field name="grid_system" type="hidden" default="12"/>
      ...and needs to be changed to this...
      <field name="grid_system" type="text" default="16" />

There are some other little things you need to change in order for the template to work correctly when choosing layouts.

The changes are basically the following lines for each position (which must total 16 not 12)...

<words>2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10</words>
      to
      <words>2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13</words>

and
      default="3,3,3,3"
      to
      default="4,4,4,4"

Some positions, such as mainbody, may have defaults set as "6,3,3" and this can be changed to "8,4,4" or anything else that adds up to 16.

Don't forget to clear J!1.6 cache after making these changes. If you go to template admin > layouts before clearing cache you will see incorrect displays. Clear cache and then go back to layouts and all will be well.

Now to activate the 16 columns you need to go to the template admin and type 16 into the columns text-field and SAVE it. (see attached image).

You now have your RocketTheme Gantry template set to 16 columns in Joomla 1.6.

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: Joomla 1.6 - Setting Gantry to 16 columns

Posted 12 years 6 months ago
    • Hi,
      I changed modulus_j16/template-options.xml like that alls.
      Its Ok default layout showing: 4-4-4-4
      changed grid 12 to 16
      cleared cache
      but didn't change page wide 920 to 1200px
      what is problem ?
      My English not very well :)
      what is mean ?
      "In J!1.6 template values are stored in the database. This means that in J!1.6 changing a "hidden" value won't have an effect in the database."
      should I change any table in database ? which table ?
      " xxx_template_styles " ??
      How to change 920 to 1200 px
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Joomla 1.6 - Setting Gantry to 16 columns

• Hi SocialGroup,

This is just to change the number of columns from 12 to 16. It does not change the width of the template.

You can check this post for details on changing width - www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=30...pic&start=45#p698654

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: Joomla 1.6 - Setting Gantry to 16 columns

• Would this work in Joomla 1.7 as i am looking to change to 16 columns.

Kind Regards

Louise
    • Joomla Version: 1.7.5
      Wordpress Version: 3.3.1
      Using: Firebug 1.8.2, Style Master 4.6 & Altova MissionKit 2011
      Books Reading:CSS: The Missing Manual
      Website: www.cool-freebies.co.uk/wordpress - Template Modulus
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Louise,

Yes this should work just the same with 1.7

Hope this helps 8)

• TamaraB
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 12 years 5 months ago
    • Hi David,
      I don't see the columns text-field referenced (grid_system, in the image attachment) under styles in Joomla 1.7.
      Where would the equivalent be found in Joomla 1.7?
      Thank you for your time.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

The code will be in the templates/your_rt_template/template-options.xml for Joomla 1.7

This is what you are looking for...
      <field name="grid_system" type="hidden" default="12"/>
      Just change the 12 to 16

Hope this helps 8)

• TamaraB
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Thanks for your response David. I had already done that, but it still doesn't change in the template manager. The main body positions still remain at a count of 12, not 16.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

Can you PM me with a temporary Super Admin access please and I will take a look to see what the cause may be.

• TamaraB
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 12 years 4 months ago
    • Hi David,

I created a temp log in for you, any chance you could have a look when you have a moment?.

I would very much appreciate it.

Regards,
      Tamara

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds