Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 4 and 5 on same site & Joomla 4 Compatibility

• Gantry 4 and 5 on same site & Joomla 4 Compatibility

Posted 4 years 6 months ago
    • I have several sites running a Gantry 4 template (Voxel Responsive). I need to ease them into Gantry 5 templates and need to plan appropriately for Joomla 4, expected in January.

1. Can I install a Gantry 5 template (and Gantry 5) on a site running a Gantry 4 template without conflicts or things getting messed up? I want to be able to safely switch back to the Gantry 4 template if I run into trouble with Gantry 5.

2. Once I commit to a Gantry 5 template and it's working the way I want it to, can I completely remove Gantry 4 and the Gantry 4 template without breaking anything?

3. What is the current expectation for RocketTheme template compatibility with Joomla 4? Will Gantry 4 templates continue to work, or will they need updating?

4. Are Gantry 5 templates (and Gantry 5) Joomla 4-ready?

As an aside, there is an underlying issue that made these questions more urgent: I use DT Register on almost all my client sites, and their latest version (4.2.6) completely breaks on websites with Voxel. I tested it on a site running a Gantry 5 template (Acronym), and it works perfectly. Whatever they did in their latest version, they introduced a conflict either with the Voxel template, or with Gantry 4.

Thank you,
      Ernie
    • Ernie
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: Gantry 4 and 5 on same site & Joomla 4 Compatibility

• Gantry 5 will be ready for Joomla 4,

Also porting from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 is not possible you will need to make a completely new website if you plan on using Gantry 5.

Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 can work together on the same Joomla install and you can remove it after you port it over.

Gantry 5 templates will be Joomla ready we are doing some latest testing but its already working as it should.

As for the DT register can i get error what does it say?
    • Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Damir.
    • Available for CUSTOM WORK with Joomla, WordPress and Grav Templates and Gantry Framework!
  • Re: Gantry 4 and 5 on same site & Joomla 4 Compatibility

• Thank you for the quick response.

I didn't understand this part:

"Also porting from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 is not possible you will need to make a completely new website if you plan on using Gantry 5."

What is "porting"?

Regarding the DT Register error - there is none. The event list page works fine, but clicking on "Register" for an event goes to a page that contains only the main menu and the footer - virtually everything else is blank - the modules are gone, the header is gone, a 3rd party rotating banner is "spinning". When I inspect the page, I see no errors or hidden code - just the HTML for the page and the menu and footer, as if that's all there is.

I can't even begin to guess what the makers of DT Register did to create such a problem - but I see no other complaints on their forums, and I assume there are several Gantry clients (though I don't know how many Gantry 4 or Voxel Responsive clients there might be - maybe I'm the only one!). I have to say that ever since JoomlArt acquired DT Register from the original developer, it has been horribly bug-ridden.

Thank you,
      Ernie
    • Ernie
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

• By porting I was referring to transferring old site that has Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 thats not possible as the two are not compatible. You will need to make old site from start, set the layout, assign pages to outlines, basically you will need to redo the shell, there isn't a way that will convert the site to Gantry 5 with click of a button.

as for DT Register, you will need to see with them what they changed in there so it's not working anymore.

If you need any help with transferring sites to G5 platform we are here to answer all the questions that you have.
    • Available for CUSTOM WORK with Joomla, WordPress and Grav Templates and Gantry Framework!
  • Re: Gantry 4 and 5 on same site & Joomla 4 Compatibility

• If I understand correctly, I can install Gantry 5 and a new Gantry 5 template (I'm looking at Fluent or Denali right now) on a website running Gantry 4 and the Voxel Responsive template without any issues.

When I set the Gantry 5 template to the "default", I will (obviously) need to create a new menu, new positions for the modules, new footer, etc. - basically, the whole site - I expected this.

BUT, I can switch back and forth between Voxel and, say, Fluent and each will work independently.

I just don't want to break the website while I'm creating the new Gantry 5 template.

It seems that as long as I'm using the same names for the individual positions (content, modules, menus, etc.) they will be unaffected... or is this wrong?

Thank you,
      Ernie
    • Ernie
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

• I can switch back and forth between Voxel and, say, Fluent and each will work independently.

Yes just don't set it to default when you are developing the site, as the others will see the new site. I suggest making a new menu and setting that menu to admin access and assign everything in there and testing it and when you are satisfied just set it to default and thats it. I would suggest you make a test of this on your local machine or somewhere online in a subfolder and see how it behaves.

Correct if you use the same names for individual position they will work fine.
    • The following users have thanked you: Ernie Brogdon

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds