Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Typical Joomla workflow from local to live server?

• Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

Typical Joomla workflow from local to live server?

Posted 16 years 1 month ago
    • The workflow I want to implement in Joomla 1.5.

Overview:
      I like to devellop a site on my local machine and synchronize it on a live server...

What I did:

1— Open local site in MAMP with the total 1.5 install in it.
      2— Open a new site in Dreamweaver with that total 1.5 install in it.
      3— Open a new site folder (empty) that is a mirror (names and database) of the local site
      4— Synchronize the entire site from Dreamweaver to the live server.

For any templates I’m working on this install:
      2— Open a new site in Dreamweaver with the template I’m working on in a folder on my machine to synchronize in the local MAMP full install.
      2— Synchronize from Dreamweaver to the template folder in the live Server.

2 questions:
      1— Is this seem to be allright?
      2— What about synchronizing changes in the database from both sides.
      a) from local to Live
      b) from Live to local
    • Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
  • Re: Typical Joomla workflow from local to live server?

• 1. I've never personally use DW for FTP but each to their own :)

2. What you could do is make your local and your live site load the same database so changes would be on both simultaneously. However, just export and importing through phpmyadmin only takes 2mins and thats what I do.
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK
    • Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

Re: Typical Joomla workflow from local to live server?

• Thanks James for your answer.

If I follow you...

• I can use Dreamweaver to work on my localhost and synchronize files, that is a matter of choice ( I find the synchronization of the full joomla install to be to long)

• Do you think having the full Joomla install in dreamweaver is a good idea, I ask myself if I’m better to have only the template in dreamweaver and only use synchronize the template.
      However if I have Images to go in the image folder of the Joomla install or any other change at the level of the Installation not the template to just use a ftp client.

• I remark that if I do any change in my administrator (Joomla) panel even after full synchronization the changes are not made. If I’m right in my thinking, it’s because the changes are made in the local database and are not implemented by the dreamweaver synchronization.

• If I want to synchronize the administration changes (menu etc) do I need to drop the database on the live site and import the local database?
    • Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
  • Re: Typical Joomla workflow from local to live server?

• As I have never used DW, I can't really say.

As for the administrator, that is DB related, not file related. Therefore, no matter what DW ftps, it won't change the database. You will need to export and import the DBs.
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds