Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Content tutorial

• gogopix

Content tutorial

Posted 16 years 4 months ago
    • I admit to being new, and have searched 'content' is many ways; what I can't find is the simple answer to; how to EASIEST get content in!
      :-)
      What I mean is this; if a template looks good, and one only want to subsitute THEIR text and images, do most people just replace the demo content? this gives you a starting site without any worry that it will work.
      Then, you can adjust menus, add BRAND NEW CONTENT , add links, one by one.
      I actually start by just editing to prove to myself it actually goes in.
      This seems clumsy, but is a sure bet.
      Now, a tutorial on getting content ijn, whether the 'replace' paradigm, or the add and modify, with ideas on best practices and pitfalls would seem to be a great addition.
      BTW, once past this, the module additions and other videos are NIFTY!!

:D
  • Re: Content tutorial

• I agree entirely that a tutorial editing the demo content would be a huge help. I am blundering my way through a simplix template installation and changing things like the text on my Frontpage on the left.

Dazed, confused, sleepless and psychotic, but I haven't given up yet!!

Any help you give could save an Irishman's sanity, thanks for your help and I'm really impressed by the helpful people on this forum, every profoundly easy question I have asked so far has been answered quickly and without any sarcasm / mockery!!

Thanks in advance again Joomlafolk!
    • Last Edit: 16 years 4 months ago by Ken Browne.

• Once you have a full grasp over the generalities of content editing, demo content will come naturally. The manual at help.joomla.org should you help this with endeavour.

However, a "full" tutorial on every aspect of demo content would be 100s of pages long and would take weeks so that isn't the best approach in my personal opinion.
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

• I agree James, to use joomla, you do have to put in the time and learn the structure of the content management and the general principles of the code; it is frustrating in the beginning but rewarding when you sort it out, it is tempting to use the forum every time you reach an impasse (something i am certainly guilty of!!), but time spent learning joomla is essential.

Thanks for your reply again.
    • gogopix

Re: Content tutorial

• well, either the forum is to help or not. The questions asked hear are quite fundamental; surely the 'experts' know the ways to start. Having been in the systems area for 40 years I am sure that with enough time I could extract the info.
      However, the joomla writers of guides are NOT expert user manual writers; they are joomla experts. Most experts forget that they know things instinctively that are not known to beginners. Such as;
      Where is it said that one loads a template with demo data, then overwrites, or that it is better to erase and then start from scratch?
      In medicine one learns by the 'see one', do one' teach' one.

What the first to posters here are asking is the first; let's SEE ONE, that is, take a template, and don't leap into loading fancy new modules, but explain how the template can be adapter to other content.

Is that so hard to understand? If it is, maybe then the experts can understand why WE find it so hard to get simple , fundamantal questions answered. I find many of the 'help' reponses to translate; 'go figure it out for yourself'
      I know the moderators won't like it, but sorry to say it is true. Instead of so many responses, how about a few truely useful ones.

Yes, I understand it is 'your' site, the yougster experts, but I am also your elder, and you would do well to listen to criticism rather than just jumping on the posters.

Someday you will understand what I am saying; I am just trying to be helpful and bring that day a little closer for you!

:-)

regards
      Victor

PS: the above link doesnt work.
    • Last Edit: 16 years 4 months ago by gogopix.

• I had similar questions as well when I first starting looking at Joomla. This book helped me.

www.amazon.com/Beginning-Joomla-Novice-P...id=1197242856&sr=8-1

I am sure you can find this information on some site somewhere but this was nice to be able to read offline. I was able to get a good understanding of Joomla and how pieces work together.
    • gogopix

• Dear mark
      DARN that looks good. I guess you get what you pay for.
      I ordered it
      Thx for the clue
      regards
      Victor

• Hello Victor,

I am not sure if your post was directed at RocketTheme or Joomla or both.

As for the manual, I am not sure of its quality as I have never read it, I prefer to learn in a more hand-ons kinda fashion, but people learn in different ways.

As I said in my previous post, extensive documentation on understanding the templates and how to use Joomla with them would be an absolutely minimum of a few 100 pages which is absurd. Also, it is impossible to target every audience. Some members will be able to use our templates from simple instructions and some can't, that is how it is. So, we target our documentation with a wide focus but don't really touch the extremes.

Besides, as you know, if you have any question about the templates, the support on this forum will be quick on it :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

• gogopix

• Dear James
      when i take a shot, I use large caliber! :-)
      meant for ALL the crowd; wamp, joomla, mambo, rocket, yoothemes, etc (and I pay my dues; have have joined or contributed to all.)

Yes, Ken's links are helpful. But an old saw goes "the path to hell is paved with good intentions" Rather nasty camment, but probably came out of the 19th century.

Here's the question; how to REALLY get started. Let me ask a very specific question. I want to TRY to take a template and all its demo data (because I am scared, justifiably of mySQL; heck having to slip passwrods into code I have't seen professionally in 40years!)

Later, afetr I know things work, we can get into that. Let's just say, I do not think I am alone, esp after seeing all the mess and questions about the database loalding. SO, we get around it-we just TAKE all the old stuff, and substitute new stuff (BTW, there are SO many templates, I have found three that would work just fine). Also, I allow that ADDING is easy, maybe ???

So, can someone say how I can do this; I have a word paragraph, and I want oit to be the FIRST item on the front page. How do I do that?

Second; I ave some content; a paragraph and two images I want under news, to be in a menu under News.

This gets something DONE. When finished, one SHOULD be able to see the item 1 on from page and reach and see th text and images on a page by clicking on the item, under NEws in the main menu.

I don't think that would take 100 pages. James, I am not asking for hand holding. What is going on here is the difference between "static' friction, and 'moving' friction. For anyone who ever tried to move a heavy cardboad box across concrete you will know exactly what I mean. Many of us need to get over the static friction (and I can tell you, there is a LOT of friction in this stuff!)

Anyone want to take a stab? Should be one page or less, I would guess.

regards
      Victor
      PS It is NOT in the links above. They talk about defining Sections, Categories and content then say
      "OH, yeh, then you gatta go link them where you want them...."

Unfortunately they then go out for a latte and dont tell you how to LINK the damn things!
    • Last Edit: 16 years 4 months ago by gogopix.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds