Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla to magento: Advice please

• Joomla to magento: Advice please

Posted 9 years 7 months ago
    • Hi,

I have a client who is looking at a magento store. I downloaded the free magento theme and set it up locally.

Please can you advise on how difficult it is to learn magento. I was quite dumbfounded by the backend. I would hate to embark on developing something that requires many months of learning.

I have no php coding ability or Javascript abilty - I can only help myself where needed but cant write a line. I can only style in CSS.

Thanks
    • Michelle
      http://www.artifectcreative.co
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla to magento: Advice please

• Magento is a much bigger system than Joomla or Wordpress. It also has higher server minimum requirements, so it's best that you go with a Magento certified hosting plan instead of trying to run it on shared hosting.

It is definitely a great shopping cart and can expand to handle as much as you need, but there is a lot to learn. The themes we have here help a great deal on styling but you still have a lot of configuration to go through that is just core shopping cart stuff.

If you're looking for a "plug and play" solution that is mostly set up already for you, this is not it. But, if you are looking for something that you can customize and really run a lot of transactions through, Magento is worth the work. It will take work to learn though.
  • Re: Joomla to magento: Advice please

• Thank you.

My client would need to learn to use the system. I would not be handling that side of it. Unless I would need to in order to style it. (Advise) I would need to style all pages to represent their brand.

I would also not host it myself, however, I was going to upload a version for them on my shared server for them to explore the functionality prior to committing to a system.

They are the biggest south african football brand so their sales could be quite high. They will aslo be targeting international markets over time. Furthermore, the accounts department want to integrate pastel.

They are not wanting to use shoppify or anything similar.

What would you suggest. Ecommerce is not my area.
    • Michelle
      http://www.artifectcreative.co
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla to magento: Advice please

• For a company of that size I would definitely recommend Magento above any other system, but like I mentioned, there is a big learning curve and a lot to keep track of. The database is very large and requires a good working knowledge to make sure things are getting cleared properly and how it operates in general.

You might be able to run a sample install for a little bit on a shared hosting setup, but certainly not for any length of time.

In my opinion, Magento is the professional solution to go with but it will take time and work.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds