Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Custom HTML widget

• SOLVED Custom HTML widget

Posted 4 years 8 months ago
    • Is there a way to create a custom html widget? Currently, when you try to create a widget, it asks you to apply it to "sidebar" or "aside" in the g5_helium theme and I don't want to place a widget there.

In Joomla, we can create a custom html "module". When calling that module, we can use Gantry 5 in layout manager and drag/drop a "module position or id" or plugin into an article {}.

However, with WordPress, I am not sure how we can do something similar? Basically I want to call the custom HTML mainly on a page. I know with layout manager, we can create multiple pages and use mutiple layouts but I don't want to create layouts for each page. I'm a little confused as to where you can name a widget position. As mentioned above, I don't want to apply it on the sidebar or aside section.

Is this possible or do we need to use a 3rd party plugin?
    • Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by tecnicabjj.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Custom HTML widget

• Drag and drop a customhtml particle onto the layout of your outline.

Alternately create a widget position particle on the layout of your outline and then you will also have the choce of that new position into which to asssign your customhtml widget.

If you need more help, Please would you post your URL, admin id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Custom HTML widget

• Thanks MrT. I understand the first option. The second option you mentioned was a method I was curious about.

I guess the benefit of Joomla modules is that you can apply customHTML modules to appear on specific pages, while still using just 1 layout. For example, I could create a customHTML module and put the "module position" (i.e. sidebar) in the layout and it would only show up on pages I want. For a smaller website in Joomla, I can just use 2 layouts (base layout and home/default) and make it work with modules appearing only on specific pages.

However with widgets in WP, it seems like I need to create multiple layouts to have the widget appear only on specific pages. I was trying to avoid having to create more layouts.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Custom HTML widget

• Yes unfortunately that is a limitation in using the Wordpress CMS. Netiher Joomla or GRAV CMS have this constraint.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds