0 items Join Now

SOLVED Wordpress template | Multi widget positions

• Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

SOLVED Wordpress template | Multi widget positions

Posted 3 years 7 months ago
    • Dear team, Mr. T.,
      Hope you guys are well.
      Can you tell me if you have a template creator that can create widget positions as in the attachment?
      So not for particals or Gantry, but just in a Wordpress template.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks, Jmblr
    • Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Joombler.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Wordpress template | Multi widget positions

• Yep, you can create widget position in that arrangement if you want to. Just add the widget position on the layout of your outline.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Mark, can you tell how/where I can do that. Guess I first download a bare RT template and modify it?
      The reason I ask is that I want to create a site that doesn't do Gantry or particals as my dad doesn't get these technics.

Wordpress is somewhat confusing when one is used to J! and its templates. Like working on a Mac when one is used to a PC (ducking).
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• See the docs. http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/particles/position

I'd suggest that you actually start with the "helium" rocketlauncher (available on Gantry site). That will at least give you a working copy of the demo to start with.

You really should use particles though otherwsie there's not much point in using Gantry 5. In fact, the "widget position" itself is a particle that you have to put on the layout of the outline.

Yes, switching between CMSs is confusing - I have to do it all day long (WP, Joomla, GRAV) and it even catches me out now and again. It's best to stick to just one CMS if you can.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Joombler

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• MrT wrote:
      You really should use particles though otherwsie there's not much point in using Gantry 5. In fact, the "widget position" itself is a particle that you have to put on the layout of the outline.
      Mark, this is exactly what I don't want to use; just creating a Wordpress template on which I can plant my Wordpress widgets directly without using Gantry or particles. Can that be done with a RT tool? I will check Helium Rocketlauncher and see how far I come without Gantry and particles.

MrT wrote:
      It's best to stick to just one CMS if you can.
      You are right, but sometimes people I help are requesting Wordpress (with the ease of maintaining Wordpress in their back mind): if I stick to Wordpress itself as much as I can in this case, one can maintain Wordpress without any knowledge of Gantry and particles (although that combination is great to work with for more techy people).

Another reason is that if I use a visual composer for creating template positions, I will be fully dependend on that plugin. If I decide to stop working with that license or remove its plugin, there is a chance that the site is cripelled and I don't want that to happen.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Then, no. How are you going to get that exact arrangement of positions and sections unless you create them? No template is going to do that out of the box. I've done a little video here https://www.screencast.com/t/ukxK2TCoj8mp to show you how easy it is to create your own widget positions anywhere you like and call them whatever you like. Please forgive the clumsy video - I rushed it a bit.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Joombler

• Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Thanks Mark, I will check that. As long as I can use it with Worpress plugins/widgets instead of with Gantry and particles this will be a great solution.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Yes, but you are using particles since the "widget position" itself is a particle.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds