Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Problems with widgets and placements

• Oceanwatcher
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • TV, film and web solutions

Problems with widgets and placements

Posted 14 years 6 months ago
    • I think this template came out a little too fast. The "module places" where widgets go are a mess. When I try to put a widget in "Over right menu" place, it does not show. Widgets that are set to show in "Main menu" show in right column...

I am looking forward to next version :-) It is definitely a theme I want to use, but right now it is a mess.

Also, I tried clicking on some of the stuff in the menu - things from "Main menu" show up as background images for the text...

It is a personal blog, so no problem leaving the template up so you can look at it.

www.wisnaes.net/
    • Regards,

Svein
    • Tyndie
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Problems with widgets and placements

• Im not all that great with css, but for some reason your two weather widgets (divs: module widget-samsarin-php-1 and module widget-samsarin-php-2) have a computerised width of 1922px.

In other words, try another weather widget as that seems more likely to be the cause of the problem.
  • Re: Problems with widgets and placements

• Hi Oceanwatcher,

I've tested Main Menu and Over Right Menu widget positions and everything works fine for me. Can you please post the widget names you're having problem with, so I could test them ?

Also I've checked your weather widget. It offers you the installation in two ways. You can use widget and place it in different locations or you can add the code manually to the template. I've tested both ways and everything's fine. You probably placed the code manually because I found it in wrong place. On site it looks like it's in the right sidebar, but for real it's placed outside col3 responsible for right sidebar. That's probably why it shows up on other pages. You need to place the code of your widget inside sidebar-right.php file in proper place. Also your code generates only list positions <li> without putting them in the list container <ul> and that can cause problems. Please let me know if I can assist you with putting it in right place.

Can you please post images of this problem :Oceanwatcher wrote:
      Also, I tried clicking on some of the stuff in the menu - things from "Main menu" show up as background images for the text...

I've tested all things you mentioned in your post. And everything seems to work fine for me.

Thanks!
    • Remember to always post a link to the site you're having problem with.
    • Oceanwatcher
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Brian Tyndall wrote:
      Im not all that great with css, but for some reason your two weather widgets (divs: module widget-samsarin-php-1 and module widget-samsarin-php-2) have a computerised width of 1922px.

In other words, try another weather widget as that seems more likely to be the cause of the problem.

Could very well be part of the problem. Something really sets this theme off...

Another example is the search I have placed in the top of the page. If I do not use a "Title" for the widget, the whole page breaks! I will make a screenshot of it. And this is the standard search widget, nothing special I have added.

BTW - the two widgets you mention are not weather widgets at all. It is just a widget to add php code that I brought over from the old theme that did not have widgets. No code has been added to these templates, so if something is showing up outside of where it should be, it is actually in the template itself, nothing that I have done...

I have tried several other themes, and no other theme has the problems I have found in this theme.
    • Regards,

Svein
    • Oceanwatcher
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Jakub Baran wrote:
      I've tested Main Menu and Over Right Menu widget positions and everything works fine for me. Can you please post the widget names you're having problem with, so I could test them ?

For a start, please put the search widget in the top without any title added to it (as it already say "Search for:"). It totally breaks the page here. This might, of course just be the "straw that breaks the camels back", but it shows that something is not right.
      Also I've checked your weather widget. It offers you the installation in two ways. You can use widget and place it in different locations or you can add the code manually to the template. I've tested both ways and everything's fine. You probably placed the code manually because I found it in wrong place. On site it looks like it's in the right sidebar, but for real it's placed outside col3 responsible for right sidebar. That's probably why it shows up on other pages. You need to place the code of your widget inside sidebar-right.php file in proper place. Also your code generates only list positions <li> without putting them in the list container <ul> and that can cause problems. Please let me know if I can assist you with putting it in right place.

I would absolutely apreciate suggestions as what I have is the php code from my former template put into a widget that allow me to use php code. So I have not added anything to the template at all. If you find anything outside of where it should be, I can only assume it is there because there is something wrong with the template. Before this theme, I was testing another theme and I added all the widgets I wanted to the right side widget positions. There were a couple of widget positions in it and that is probably why they have been distributed in a few different places in this theme.

I will look for a widget version of the weather widgets that I am using now so I can eliminate the php widgets.
      Can you please post images of this problem :Oceanwatcher wrote:
      Also, I tried clicking on some of the stuff in the menu - things from "Main menu" show up as background images for the text.

As you wish :-)

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I think the WP themes from RT is a great idea, but found the start here a little difficult.
    • Regards,

Svein
    • Oceanwatcher
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Downloading a weather widget now. Will replace the ones in the site and remove the php wrapper.
    • Regards,

Svein
    • Oceanwatcher
    • Hero Rocketeer

• The old weather widgets have been removed. The php-wrapper has been removed.

I then tested the Search form in Top again without any title for the widget. It still totally breaks the template. Please investigate why...

BTW - I am using Firefox 3.5 on Kubuntu Linux, just to make sure you have the whole picture. What browsers are you using to view the page?
    • Regards,

Svein

• I agree, there's a problem with Top widget position, it breaks the page because when there's no Title - one <div> tag is missing. Fix is on the way, and should be out very soon. :) As a temporary solution you can type in the widget title &nbsp; as it's a blank sign so you will not see any titles.

The case with weather widget is closed ? Or do you want to use the old one you were having at the beggining ?

We are using latest Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE6, IE7 and IE8
    • Oceanwatcher
    • Hero Rocketeer

• I really would like to use the old one... I have been looking for a replacement and have not found something that looks good and actually work. maybe the RokWeather Joomla module should be converted? :-)

I downloaded the last version of the old one to see if there is a way to get it to run properly. If you are up for it, maybe you could suggest a widget that will allow me to add old style extensions (php code) in a widget?

BTW - good idea to use a blank space for the top. Will do. I have had a bad headache today so not been too much online. Will try to fix things a bit tomorrow. As I said above - this blog is purely personal, so I can afford to play around a bit with it. I might suggest a few things based on what I see during the testing of your theme.
    • Regards,

Svein

• Well about your old weather widget, when i tested it after your first post I also downloaded a newest version and it already had implemented widget for easy installation, so if you installed latest version, just go to Appearance > Widgets and maybe you already got it there ;)

All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds