Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

A strange widget problem and general questions

• A strange widget problem and general questions

Posted 14 years 3 months ago
    • I am a newbie in wordpress and trying to understand and learn how things work here. I have trouble in understanding the concept of widgets. Because,

1. When I select widgets menu in the administration panel, I cannot see all widgets in their places although they are visible. For instance, I had dragged Meta widget to the sidebar. But now, I cannot remove it. Also, the other widgets such as Categories, Search, Tags, and Archive are visible on the site but cannot see in them in Widgets panel. So, for instance, forget about removing them, I cannot even change their position like taking from right to left or visa versa.

2. When I first started to test the software (Wordpress), I had published 4 or 5 test posts. And they were appearing just beneath the top position. I don't know how or why they are not visible now. Actually, it was looking annoying when it was only showing the posts randomly. What's the trick there ? I don't know what I did to remove them ?

3. How would it be possible to place an image just like in the demo website under the top position ?

4. I have adjusted the "Size of the post box" to 1 line. But still I cannot see a Learn More button at the bottom of each post.

Thank you very much for your support in advance.
  • Re: A strange widget problem and general questions

• Hi,

1. To remove widget you have to expand it in the sidebar and click on the button remove. Please remember that some widget positions are visible only on subpages (Over Page Menu) and some only on front page (ie. Over Main Menu). Regarding moving them, do you got your widget positions expanded (arrow on the right). If not you won't be able to place there your widget.

2. I guess that you assigned them to the category that's used in Showcase section, as Showcase section is displaying only 1 post and is displaying them randomly. To get rid of it please just assign your posts to a different category than the one used in showcase.

3. The big post isn't an image. It's just a normal post assigned to the category that's assigned to the 'Showcase' section with some styling. You can change which category is assigned to the Showcase section under Afterburner Settings in admin dashboard.
      demo.rockettheme.com/wordpress/wp_afterburner/tutorials/

4. "Size of the post box" is a settings for the post box in the admin dashboard. The one that you're using to edit your post, so setting different size of it doesn't affect your frontend. To see the "Learn More" button you have to split the post for two parts using <!--more--> tag or the button in WordPress editor. Theme will place the "Learn More" button in the place where the post is splitted.

Cheers
      Jakub
    • Remember to always post a link to the site you're having problem with.

• Dear Jakub,

Thank you very much for the reply and these lovely information. But, there are some points need to be enlightened at least for me :)

1. You said that in order to remove the widget, I need to expand it in the sidebar. The problem is when I expand all the positions, I cannot see the standard widgets. 2 days ago, after my first post, I downloaded a plugin "Widget Logic" and with this one, it is easier to place the widgets indeed. However, still I cannot see the standard ones in the positions. For instance, Tags widget. Suppose that I want to take it from left to right. But it is not possible. By the way, by experimenting, I found something. However, I am not sure whether it is the actual or regular way or not. For instance, instead of removing the widgets on the right panel one by one, I placed a new widget and then all of them disappeared and my new widget is placed.

2. For the showcase category, I had started from the scratch and didn't install the samples. So, there was no showcase category at all. In the meantime, still I am not sure how I removed it. But thank you very much for this information. At least I know how to activate it.

4. And yes after you said that I have checked and found the <!--more--> tag to split the post into two parts.

What do you think about the first two items ?

Thank you very much again...

• And one more thing Jacob. I think I have found how showcase is activated. I have added Aweber subscribe module by placing a text widget to the over right menu. And now, I have the showcase again. In the meantime, please note that still there is only category called News.

By the way, if you want to take a look, please see how it works at;

blog.miscomputer.net

Thanks again.

• Hi
      ismail selman kimyacioglu wrote:
      You said that in order to remove the widget, I need to expand it in the sidebar. The problem is when I expand all the positions, I cannot see the standard widgets. 2 days ago, after my first post, I downloaded a plugin "Widget Logic" and with this one, it is easier to place the widgets indeed. However, still I cannot see the standard ones in the positions. For instance, Tags widget. Suppose that I want to take it from left to right. But it is not possible. By the way, by experimenting, I found something. However, I am not sure whether it is the actual or regular way or not. For instance, instead of removing the widgets on the right panel one by one, I placed a new widget and then all of them disappeared and my new widget is placed.

That's why you have the "Over ..." and "Under ..." widget positions - to position your widgets over or under the default content. Placing widgets in "Main Menu" or "Right Menu" will hide the default content of these sidebars. It's described in the tutorials :)
      Jakub Baran wrote:
      Dragging widgets to Main Menu, Page Menu, Right Menu, Top, Bottom and Footer 1-3 sections will hide the default content of those sections and display your widget instead
      2. For the showcase category, I had started from the scratch and didn't install the samples. So, there was no showcase category at all. In the meantime, still I am not sure how I removed it. But thank you very much for this information. At least I know how to activate it.

There has to be a category assigned in the Afterburner Settings to the showcase position. Every post from that category will be displayed randomly in the showcase section. It's all that user needs to know :) There's no magic behind it :)
      What do you think about the first two items ?

Which first two items ? :)
      I have added Aweber subscribe module by placing a text widget to the over right menu. And now, I have the showcase again. In the meantime, please note that still there is only category called News.

Sorry but I really don't understand what you got on your mind. Can you please explain it a little bit more to me ?

Cheers
      Jakub

• Thanks Jakub,

I understand it better now. What I want to understand is how to access to the standard widgets. Anyway, I had read that tutorial. But I think I was thinking something else so I didn't understand correctly.

As for the showcase category thing, I know there is no magic behind instead some programming. But I was thinking whether there was a bug or not. Because, when I installed the text widget for Aweber subscription form, it appeared again although I did not play with the posts and categories or did not add any category.

Well, actually the only thing was I got on my mind was the working principle of Wordpress. I have been using Joomla for around 2.5 years and at the beginning, I thought that Wordpress has the same logic, as well. So I might have confused.

Anyway, everything is clear now. And thank you very much for your patience and support.

• ismail selman kimyacioglu wrote:
      Because, when I installed the text widget for Aweber subscription form, it appeared again although I did not play with the posts and categories or did not add any category.

I've checked your site, and from what i can see you placed a <script> tag inside of the text widget. I don't think it's goint to work. Maybe you should consider using any of Aweber plugins for WordPress : wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=aweber&sort=

If you have any questions feel free to ask :) I'm here to help :)

Cheers
      Jakub

• Thank you very much Jakub. I will take your recommendation and give it a try. And I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds