Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

All in One SEO plugin and SEO in general

• All in One SEO plugin and SEO in general

Posted 12 years 11 months ago
    • I've always used the All in One SEO (AIOSEO) plugin on my wordpress blogs. Unfortunately, I generally set it up and forget about it. Recently I've been concentrating on trying to improve my SEO. I noticed that for some odd reason much of the AIOSEO information was not being added to the header. in particular meta tags like description and keywords.

In the header I noticed that only the following information was being added:
      <!-- All in One SEO Pack 1.6.13.2 by Michael Torbert of Semper Fi Web Designob_start_detected [,] --> 
      <meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow" /> 
      <!-- /all in one seo pack -->

After doing some research I came across this post . Here they describe a similar issue and recommend adding the foling to your header
      <?php wp_head(); ?>

After adding this to the index.php file of my Somaxiom theme I finally saw the AIOSEO information I was looking for:
      <!-- All in One SEO Pack 1.6.13.2 by Michael Torbert of Semper Fi Web Design[,] --> 
      <meta name="description" content="description of site" /> 
      <meta name="keywords" content="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3" /> 
      <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/" /> 
      <!-- /all in one seo pack -->

However, I noticed the AIOSEO section appeared twice....as did most all of the other header information. After a wee bit of reverse engineering I see that the theme loads the header from the Ganty Plugin via the displayHead() function. Tracing this back to .../ganty/core/ganty.class.php I see the Ganty plugin uses a get_header function to include the header.php of the theme. For giggles I modified the ganty.class.php as follows:
            // do_action( 'get_header', null );
              do_action( 'wp_head', null );

In doing so it appears to remove the duplication of code in the header while still maintaining functionality on the web site.

AIOSEO is a VERY popular plug in. Over 7.8 million downloads. Is there any way someone at Rocket Theme can check this out and see if the modifications I have made will break anything else and potentially incorporate this (or some other fix that allows the use of AIONSEO) into the Ganty core.

As always I love the themes and appreciate any assistance,
      -Tim
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: All in One SEO plugin and SEO in general

Posted 12 years 11 months ago
    • Hi, thanks for your information. As AIOSEO is a third party product we don't offer support for it. Realistically, there are so many different ways of configuring Wordpress it's hard to say if this method would work for everyone in every situation. My recommendation would be to try it on your own and see what happens.

Adding functionality like this in to the core of Gantry might be a better topic in the Requests section of the forum and may been seen by more of the development staff.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: All in One SEO plugin and SEO in general

Posted 12 years 10 months ago
    • OK you're getting good a making me feel stupid....which is prolly not that hard. I do not see a "Requests" section in the forum. Could you please provide a link to the forum you are referring to?

Thanks!
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: All in One SEO plugin and SEO in general

Posted 12 years 10 months ago
    • Hey there, I'm just trying to help. It's good to keep in mind that templates are designed to provide a general starting point as everyone will have different needs for their projects.

The requests forum is here, it's a members only forum.
      http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=16&rb_v=viewforum
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds