Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry BBPress Plugin

• tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Gantry BBPress Plugin

Posted 12 years 4 months ago
    • Now that BBPress is a plugin that can be easily integrated into WP I think that someone should be looking into a WP plugin to support BBPress and gantry (much like the BuddyPress Plugin). From my initial testing there's only a couple things that look off, one of which being minor CSS issues and the other is the breadcrumb menu system appears to be broken when using gantry.

BBPress is by no means the most sophisticated forum out there but it's gaining more and more ground.

If anyone else would like support for this I would encourage you to post here as well. Maybe we can get the ball rolling for seamless integration.
  • Re: Gantry BBPress Plugin

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • I'm having several issues getting the forum list to display properly. As you said, it does not appear to be a severe issue. A few minor adjustments could make it work correctly.

If you've found anything, I'd be delighted to know. I've even tried to latest test version of bbpress, 2.1, from the SVN and the Modulus theme doesn't like it at all.
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: Gantry BBPress Plugin

• I have come up with a solution that's good enough for me. Let me explain what needs to be done in order for it to work properly.

Towards the top of your functions.php file located in the wp-conten/themes/**themename** paste the following:

function bm_bbp_no_breadcrumb ($param) {
      return true;
      }

add_filter ('bbp_no_breadcrumb', 'bm_bbp_no_breadcrumb');

Once that is complete save and upload the functions.php file back to the server. This will get rid of the breadcrumbs that are causing one of the issues.

Now go to the forums settings located in your dashboard at settings -> Forums
      Uncheck "Prefix your forum area with the Forum Base slug (Recommended)" and save

Now create a page which will be used for the forums and paste one the following shortcodes into the html area and save:
      Either [bbp-forum-index] or [bbp-topic-index]

Now what this has done is that it's created a topic index or forum index that will be used for your forum home.

I chose to use topic index on my sites. Many forums display topic indexes from newest to oldest rather than forum indexes. I however wanted to have the forum index as well and therefore I added a forum index to the sidebar. This was sufficient for my needs. If you'd rather have the forum index then use the appropriate shortcode above.

I hope I was able to help!
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Ok, I've had this problem with bbPress and was hoping that your fix would, well, fix my issue.

On the forum/category page, when you click the direct link to a topic, you don't see the actual topic on the page. You only have the "Reply" box with nothing else.

I'm using the Hybrid theme.

When I contacted support at bbPress, someone mentoned that there was a similar issue to mine when another person used the "Genesis Framework" of another Theme Developer company. This was his responce:
      I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that your theme is doing some filtering/modifications to the_content, and the result is stuff looking weid.

The page that is messed up is an archive page, so I would start there and look through you theme and see what modifications it does to the archive pages.

The Genesis Framework does something very similar and they are just some things you have to work around.

That person made a plugin to correct his issue with bbPress and the Genesis Framework. I dunno if it's helpful, but here is the plugin info incase there are parts of it that can be seen on where to edit for Gantry:

www.jaredatchison.com/wp-content/uploads...s_bbpress_extend.txt

I've looked through my files but being a code novice, I've no idea what to do or where to make changes.

While your fix does fix the Forum display, none of the topics made show the actual text that people have written.
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Zube,

What that sounds like is that you didn't follow one crucial step in the solution that I provided or maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You are using the default forum page, which you cannot do. The solution is to use the shortcode on a new page.

If you really want the use /forum or /forums then be sure to change the settings in BBPress to set the link as something different.

Then create a page called forum (or whatever you want) and use the shortcodes provided above, depending on which you would rather display.

I hope this helps and if you still have problems you can pm me or post your link and I'd be more than happy to take a look.

Edit: I see that you modified your post and I was going off the email which was originally different. The above reply is geared more towards your original post indicating "I've done everything that you said but I get an issue where the forum only displays text about the sub-forums." I'm not quite sure what your current issue is as it works for me. A link would be helpful to diagnose.
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Oh, no. Sorry, when I posted I was into 30 straight hours of working on the site with no sleep. I might not have been as clear as I thought.

Here is a link to a working test page: bp.daevas.com/forums/

I created the page /forums and used the [bbp-forum-index] code you provided. That worked. It shows the forum listing with the sub-forums I created.

But if you click on any of the sub-forums and click on a topic, the page that comes up is the correct topic page, but doesn't show the content of the post.

Here is a link: bp.daevas.com/discussion/bird-id-the-word/

Now, I can view the Topic content in the Dashboard in the Topic section. I just can't view it on the topic page.

*Edit* Ahh, gotcha. Totally forgot I changed this post. No sleep will do that to a person :P
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Zube,

Ok so it looks like you've done everything correctly. I'm on my laptop and I don't have all of my tools with me right now to look more into it, but I did notice something that may cause an error. It looks as though you have the BuddyPress group forums enabled as well. I don't know if that may be causing some conflict. I have the exact same setup as it appears that you do and mine works fine. So something has to be causing it. Try disabling the BuddyPress group forums and see if that helps. If you continue to have problems tomorrow when I'm at the office I'll take a look at it and dive into the css as that could be the only other thing that I could imagine causing a conflict.

Gotta help my fellow gamers out!
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Okay, this is odd. I'm in my dashboard in the BuddyPress settings. In the install "Forums" area. I Click the Uninstall Group Forums, went back to my groups page, visited the "Order of the Daevas" page and Forum was still listed. Was able to make a post in it.

Went back to the BuddyPress Install Forums area and it was listed as installed. For some reason Group Forum won't uninstall.

To top that off, even though I have bbPress installed, via that same install Forums area, it doesn't show the current installed version but says that i can "Install Site Wide Forums."

Have no clue what's going on there.

Gamers unite!! :P
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Think I found it. Though I can't uninstall the Group Forums, I was able to go to the Component section of BuddyPress and unchecked the Discussion Forums. Now it's not available in the User Groups section.

Sadly, I'm still not getting the posts to view their content in the bbPress forums.
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Zube,

I've taken a look at the site once again. Somewhere you have conflicts and it's not being caused by the theme, css or scripts. I would be willing to guess that it's a conflict between buddypress and bbpress and at one time having both forums enabled. BBPress should be generating the link at domain.com/topic/topic-subject. Your example is using /discussion/ which is a buddypress group forum link and not a bbpress link (unless modified in the settings of BBPress). This is also apparent in that the page is not generating all of the CSS needed including the needed bbp-pagination container which houses the post.

I would consider disabling the BuddyPress plugin to see if you can get the forum to work correctly.

Let me know how it goes!

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds