Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry BBPress Plugin

• Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Gantry BBPress Plugin

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • I AM an idiot.

Well, it's working now. And it hit me what was causing it once I saw your reply. I'm using a plugin called Frontpage Category filter ( wppluginspool.com/wpplugins/wp-filter-post-categories/ ) to hide actual posts on the frontpage. I just wanted that RokStories widget on the main page, so I added this plugin to hide all posts on the Frontpage. Well, I had no idea that it would hide stuff on other pages as well.

Disabled the plugin and now the forum is working. I assume, that since the bbPress post pages aren't really created pages/posts that bbPress clones the frontpage and the Frontpage Category filter was filtering any pages made off the clone. Dunno.

At least I know it's nothing major with the site and I can return to my scheduled March 15 launch date. Thanks a ton!!!
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• I'm glad you got it working. Let me give you a little pointer for the front page if you don't want your posts showing up there.

In the gantry theme settings go to the advanced tab and turn off the content slider. This will then force the front page to only use widgets. Any type of text that you want displayed on the front page can then be placed in html and into a text widget or any other type of widget that you'd like.

There's really no need for an additional module as gantry can handle this.
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• I tried the content slider but it removed all the content from all of the pages and not just the Frontpage. Not sure why it did that. That's the reason I used that Frontpage plugin.

*Edit - Nevermind, figured it out. Forgot to set the Override to turning off content on the Frontpage.
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• I was just about to tell you to pick front page from the dropdown.
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• tscadfx, do you know if adding a bbPress "theme" can work inside of a RocketTheme design? The default theme/template of bbPress is a bit drab. I've found some places that have themes that change the look of the forums. Was tempted to download and see if the look of the forum would change without causing issues with the RocketTheme design I'm using.

Sadly I'm too chicken to attempt anything with the date of taking my site live drawing near. I've already begun advertising my site's launch in about 7 days and I don't want to have to postpone it, again, due to issues from incompatibility.
    • tscadfx
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Zube,

From my past experience it doesn't work. BBPress in of itself is drab and I guess it's to be expected. I would recommend making CSS changes if you want instead of adding an additional theme.

Let me know how it works out and what you do!
  • Re: Gantry BBPress Plugin

Posted 12 years 3 weeks ago
    • I have Tachyon and I tried to install bbPress (not simply Gantry Buddypress) and the breadcrumbs are hosed.

HOME>forums>

forums DOES NOT WORK
      HOME does work

The tags within the forums don't work either.

Do I understand this correctly. Gantry Buddypress plugin should make BOTH bbPress (full) and Buddypress work?

Posted 12 years 1 week ago
    • I'm still having some issues with this, even after making the changes you suggested. When I goto the /forums/ page, it shows the index as I have specified with the short code. All good.

However, when I click a topic, it brings me to what is, essentially, the main page, and the forum post is located at the very bottom of the page. It says I can edit the Entry, but does not have a button for reply. Weird.

I really wish these conflicts would be sorted out. I do believe buddypress and bbpress will become popular additions to WordPress blogs and I do not think the issues require major adjustments. I, however, am not skilled enough to make them on my own >.>

My webpage: eczemanetwork.org
      Forum: eczemanetwork.org/forums/

Clicking the topic takes you to: www.eczemanetwork.org/categories/eczema-...ork-support-forum-3/

I am using the Modulus theme.

Posted 12 years 4 hours ago
    • Ok I found a work around.

It is rather ghetto, but for now it gets the trick done:

1) Install Rockettheme
      2) Do NOT install bbpress.
      3) REMOVE bbpress in FIRST blog and INSTALL in the SECOND blog (export settings if necessary)
      4) Make a new post or page for your Forum
      5) Install a NEW WordPress installation in a subdomain or in a directory within the root of your blog (ie forum.yourdomain.com or www.yourdomain.com/forum )
      6) Inside the post/page you made in step four on the FIRST blog, insert an IFRAME to your SECOND BLOG with the URL to your FORUM (read socialnicole.com/insert-iframe-wordpress/ )
      7) Adjust height, width of iframe accordingly
      8) In SECOND blog, strip out any content not needed (ie, titles, links, etc) by modifying the applicable code (MAKE SURE YOUR TEMPLATE IS COMPATIBLE WITH BBPRESS! USE the most recent default WP theme if unsure).
      9) Link your WP USER fields in the DB (read justintadlock.com/archives/2008/09/20/in...-with-the-same-users )
      10) Enjoy new bbpress

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds