Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Possible to create an IE7,8,9 unsupported page?

• Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Possible to create an IE7,8,9 unsupported page?

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • I've been reading up on the Gantry Page about creating an IE6 Unsupported page: www.gantry-framework.org/documentation/w...ie6-unsupported-page

I wanted to mainly design my site around Firefox, as Firefox seems to work the best with many of the WP plugins I use.

Is it possible to make a page that redirects all IE users, no matter the version of IE, to an Unsupported page that suggests that they use Firefox?
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: Possible to create an IE7,8,9 unsupported page?

• Hi, it would be possible to modify the code to this file to have it apply to all versions of IE, you could try taking out the reference to version 6 and see if that works, change this
      if ($request != 'unsupported.php' && $gantry->browser->name == 'ie' && $gantry->browser->shortversion == '6')
      To this:
      if ($request != 'unsupported.php' && $gantry->browser->name == 'ie')
      I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure if it works or not. Let me know.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
    • Zube
    • Sr. Rocketeer

•  
      Ok, I tried what you mentioned and decided that it was too much of an issue for me to block people using IE. I know Firefox is the better browser, sadly, there are too many people to cut out because they use IE.

I went in and removed the redirect and unsupported .php files from the directory, now I have a fatal error on my entire site.

"Fatal error: Call to a member function isEnabled() on a non-object in /home/user02/public_html/bp/wp-content/plugins/gantry/core/gantry.class.php on line 753"

When I looked at the redirect page, it lists this, which references what's on line 753:
      defined('GANTRY_VERSION') or die();

11.gantry_import('core.gantrygizmo');

12./**

13.* @package     gantry

14.* @subpackage  features

15.*/

16.class GantryGizmoIE6Redirect extends GantryGizmo {

17.var $_name = 'ie6redirect';

Did this do something to my database? Have no idea how to fix this.
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• Hi, the easy way to fix it is to put the files back that you removed. If you remove a file, then immediately get an error, theres a good chance that file has something in it that your configuration requires to run. In this case, Gantry is looking for the IE redirect file, and it's not finding it, which causes a fatal error.

If you need to remove those files and completely disable the redirect, make sure that you have the ie6 re-direct switched to off in the backend. It's probably better to completely remove the switch from the templatedetails.xml, that way the variable doesn't exist in your configuration and can't cause an error. Hope that helps.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds