• No
    • No votes
    • 0%
  • Total number of voters: 0 ( )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
    • Mihajlo

Joomla Articles particle not opening full articles in designated layout

Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    • I am using Isotope but posting the question in the Gantry thread as I believe this issue to be intrinsic to the framework. I found a similar discussion on the forum but not the same, so here it is...

I have created a "Blog summary" layout page using only the "Aticles particle" (to list my joomla articles) and an "Article page" layout where full articles should be opened. When I open the "Blog summary" layout page and click Read More, articles do not open in their designated "Article page" layout (although "Article Page" has been set up as the DEFAULT style in Joomla templates section as well as the articles explicitly pointing to it). Instead, full articles open in the same "Blog summary" layout, meaning "Read more" or the hyperlinked title does not seem to honour my layout choice for full article display. I can also see the same behaviour in all Rockettheme template demos using the Articles Particle for BOTH JOOMLA AND WORDPRESS??!?

Someone mentioned in another post that Joomla Articles particle uses the "Read more" joomla functionality, however this is not what I see.
      When I create a page using Joomla's built-in "Blog Layout", the "Read more" works as expected and full articles open in the correct layout. I would have used this approach, alas the default J! Blog Layout does not get the template styling...

All of this goes away if I assign each article to a menu item (the "hidden menu" trick), but I (and other article contributors) certainly do not expect to do this with 100s (or even 1000s of articles) in the long run. Given the high projected number of articles, assigning each one to a "hidden" menu is not an option. I simply want my published articles summary to appear in my "Blog summary" and full articles to open in their "Article page" layout.

Am I using the particle incorrectly? Is there anything special that needs to be done in order for full articles to open in their designated layout? Can you show on your demos how full articles open in their own layout WITHOUT being assigned to a menu?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Mihajlo.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: Joomla Articles particle not opening full articles in designated layout

• This is not the case of Gantry Particle its the case of Joomla, one way is to assign the article Category to the hidden menu of the articles that you use and that will show the specific layout that you assign to that hidden menu. Also some users also use advanced module manager.

If you have site online i can make you an example... so you can see what i am talking about.
    • Available for CUSTOM WORK with Joomla, WordPress and Grav Templates and Gantry Framework!
    • Mihajlo

• Thank you Damir. I appreciate your response but I think we may not be going in the right direction with the answer, so please let me ask some counter-questions:

1) I set up my site using the default joomla Articles » Category Blog and the thing just works, no special hidden menus, etc... all articles simply appear once created. Why doesn't this work in the Articles Particle?

2) By all means, I would love to see an example. Is there any chance of doing it within your demos so that others facing the same issue can see it working? I think making your demos exibit the correct behaviour would help immensely.

if I am still alone in this issue and it is my ignorance causing it, please let me know what works best for doing it hands-on? Should I send you admin user/pwd to the site?

thanks
    • jim
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Same issue. Did you solve this?
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

• The issue is this, the Article Particle is a Gantry Particle Module that shows Articles from Joomla, if you add that on a page it will show you articles that you want with options, but its not connected to the Joomla Menu System, If you don't have Joomla Articles » Category Blog set in the Main Menu it will show it trough the page you have that particle on, or to be exact it will use the same outline that that particle is using.

But if you connect the Articles » Category Blog and that Category that you are using in particle to the menu it will use that menu item, you only need to assign different outline to that menu item so you have specific layout for the blog posts for that category.

Now post your URL, Username and password in secure tab and tell me what pages and outlines you are using so i can give you an example on your site.

For posting sensitive information you hit the Blue Reply Button and then you will see Secure Tab. Post all info that is sensitive in there, only Fellow Mods, Staff and I can see that!
    • Available for CUSTOM WORK with Joomla, WordPress and Grav Templates and Gantry Framework!
    • Mihajlo

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Damir, moderators and administrators
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Hi there,

for an outsider it's a bit tricky to find the exact pages you are referring to.

I see the 'Blog' menu item at the bottom and all seems well with it, when I view the blog articles and click any of the Read More buttons, I get to the Articles page which is using outline-12 (checked in source code) everywhere I've looked so far.

Do you have an example link of an article page that does not use the correct layout?
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
    • Mihajlo

• Hi Kat,

Yes, the "Blog" page you refer to works, "read more" on the articles works however when I add a new blog post, it appears on the blog summary (Articles particle) page, but "Read more" does not work until I add that article excplicitly to a menu.

As per Damir's previous post:
      But if you connect the Articles » Category Blog and that Category that you are using in particle to the menu it will use that menu item, you only need to assign different outline to that menu item so you have specific layout for the blog posts for that category.

he said you can make the articles appear and "Read more" work without explicitly adding each article to a menu.

Thanks for your help.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds