Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Denali: Creating Articles Linked to Menu Items and Read More Links

• Denali: Creating Articles Linked to Menu Items and Read More Links

Posted 5 years 10 months ago
    • I have been able to tweak my denali themed website's home page to great satisfaction and now I am trying to create pages/articles for the menu items (and "read more" links) to link to.

I keep reading up on the Gantry Framework and I can't seem to find any pointers addressing the issue.
      I have a sneaky feeling it is something simple but I've been at it for hours with no luck :(

Thanks in advance.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Denali: Creating Articles Linked to Menu Items and Read More Links

• Same as any other Joomla site... create menu items... you can use the Gantry Custom item type if you want to create your page purely from Particles or if you want to render Article content then use the Single Article type... once the menu items are created you just assign your Gantry 5 Outline to it
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: Denali: Creating Articles Linked to Menu Items and Read More Links

• Matt,

Thanks for your response. Please consider that I'm pretty new to Gantry 5 and I'm not exactly sure if I'm thinking about this correctly.
      I am trying to build with particles and so far, I have been able to fumble my way around things and create custome pages, etc. What I seem to still be having trouble with is making the "read more" buttons link to pages that are not under main menu items.

In Joomla 1.5 (I know, I know... dinosaur) I could simply create a page, save it (without it being associated with any menu item) and then link it to any control on any page. I guess this is what I'm trying to do here.

Thanks again.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• You need to build menu items for everything you want to load on it's "own" page... if you don't have a menu item Joomla will simply render the Article content on whatever current page you're on.

docs.joomla.org/How_to_control_module_di...le_with_no_menu_item
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

• Thanks for your response. I've tried to follow the article you referenced but there seems to be too much I don't understand. Perhaps I'm just not getting it or perhaps I will have to just learn the hard way.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• A "page" doesn't exist in Joomla unless there's a Menu item... The 'Read More's that get generated will use the Menu Item link first (this will route to an actual page) or the index.php?com_component= style of link (this will NOT route to a new page) if a Menu Item item is not associated with the Article.

• I get that pages or articles must be linked to Menu items. What I'm having trouble with is that my whole site is built using particles. I do not have any Joomla articles. I have tried creating items in the Hidden Menu but the index.php?com_component link didn't work.
      I have no problems so far creating and editing the particles in my Main Menu. I just need to understand how to do the same thing in the hidden menu and have it work.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• In your original post you said you were trying to create read more links to articles/pages... now you're saying your whole site is built with Particles... are you using Joomla Articles?
    • Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Matt.

• Pardon me for the mix-up. I was trying to say that I want to create particles linked to the "read more" links in other particles. I carelessly refered to them as "pages/articles" because I am still getting used to this whole Gantry5 lingo. :)
      So, I want links in particles under the main menu to lead to particles in a hidden menu. I hope I'm saying all this properly again.
      Thanks.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• OK, sure, which Particle specifically? For the most part, all the 'Read More' or button links in Particles are manually defined... so in those cases, you'd just enter domain.com/menu-alias/ (provided your have SEF links/URL Rewrites enabled) as your link... for any of the "Content Particles" that pull article content dynamically from Joomla by Category the same rule applies (since Joomla is the routing engine) that you need a Menu item, hidden otherwise, in order for it to route to a new Page... in the event your do not have a page/Outline assigned to the Menu Item then the Base Outline will be used.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds