Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED 8 Gantry files clashing legally on license terms.

• Vikram Rao
    • Rocketeer
    • Consultant

SOLVED 8 Gantry files clashing legally on license terms.

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • I was recently going through the com_gantry folder of Gantry 3.1.4 (GPL Version from www.gantry-framework.org ) and found some license clashes in legal way.

The following files:
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\features\js\features-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\gantry-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\menuitemhead\js\menuitemhead-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\preset\js\preset-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\preset\js\preset-saver-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\selectbox\js\selectbox-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\slider\js\slider-mt1.2.js
        com_gantry\admin\widgets\toggle\js\toggle-mt1.2.js

Contain a sentese in them which says :
      *@license www.rockettheme.com/legal/license.php RocketTheme Proprietary Use License

While going through the Proprietary Use license at above mentioned URL, I found clashing statements:
      The RocketTheme Proprietary Use License (v1.3)

The RocketTheme Proprietary Use License is a GPL compatible license that pertains only to the images, cascading style sheets and JavaScript elements of RocketTheme Templates, Themes, Styles (Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, phpBB3, etc). produced by RocketTheme. As stated by the GPL version 2.0 license, These elements of product that are not compiled together but are sent independently of GPL code, and combined in a client's browser, do not have to be GPL themselves. These images, cascading style sheets and JavaScript elements are copyright RocketTheme and can be used and manipulated for your own or your clients purposes. You cannot redistribute these files as your own, or include them in a package or extension of your own without prior consent of RocketTheme. The use of these portions are bound to the number of entitlements your membership provides as well as the restrictions on distribution that the Terms of Service outline.

I tried searching for "prior consent of RocketTheme" but with no luck and legally, without that permission, one cannot sell or re-distribute to his / her clients, any template built on Gantry Framework.

Gantry as a complete package is GPL ( if i am not wrong ) and which includes the Template-Options and which will not work without these files.

So my question is .......... Does this mean that when we design templates based on Gantry, for distribution in any form, we will have to re-write the entire Template-Options back-end Scripts?

I kindly request someone from RocketTheme, who has authority to permit the use, declare clearly the permission specially for these files, or change the @license sentence in the Gantry Package, so that I can go ahead with the distribution of my template to the client.

My client is a legal firm and they are very particular about these small small things. I worked really hard for about 2 months on this entire website using the Gantry template and cannot re-start the work on another platform. You guys as coders can understand the amount of pains I might have gone through.

Kindly help
    • Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Vikram Rao.
    • Vikram Rao
      http://www.vikramrao.com
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED 8 Gantry files clashing legally on license terms.

• Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Actually this is a typo error. The JS files within the gantry framework should be listed as GPL. These proprietary headers are actually hold-overs from RT club templates. We will ensure to update these headers to properly show their GPL nature in an upcoming release. Until that time, have no fear the entire gantry framework is 100% GPL.
    • Vikram Rao
    • Rocketeer
    • Consultant

• JEM wrote:
      Vikram,

For an inquiry such as this, I suggest contacting support directly.

www.rockettheme.com/contact-us
      Sorry JEM... will keep that in mind.
      Andy Miller wrote:
      Actually this is a typo error. The JS files within the gantry framework should be listed as GPL. These proprietary headers are actually hold-overs from RT club templates. We will ensure to update these headers to properly show their GPL nature in an upcoming release. Until that time, have no fear the entire gantry framework is 100% GPL.
      Thanks Andy for giving me a clarity. I am so relieved now.
    • Vikram Rao
      http://www.vikramrao.com

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds