Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Menu items order being overridden by Gantry menu

• SOLVED Menu items order being overridden by Gantry menu

Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    • Hi, this is my first build using the new Gantry 5 framework (Callisto template) and I have just created an article, and assigned it to my menu (Callisto) by Article-Single Article. By default Joomla puts it last in the order of menu items. I drag it to the position that I want it to appear, but then I have to go to Gantry 5 Themes- Configure -Menu - Callistotheme and drag the menu item which is still appearing last, to the new position that I want it to appear in.

Why? Now when I create a menu item the standard Joomla way, I will have to come in here every time to reorder it? That doesn't seem right? Also difficult for my clients as there is another step in the process.

I have read the Gantry 5 documentation, but maybe I am missing the point, I couldn't actually find anything on 'how to create a page'. Are articles not generally used any more? I noticed that there are very few articles in the Callisto rocketlauncher build, and that menu items are pointing to Gantry5 -custom. Eg Typography page, About Us page. It seems to me that to use custom HTML modules in Gantry5 to put in the main page content (previously articles) the user will need to know HTML? This is ok for me as a developer, but not suitable for my clients who can cope with the likes of an JCE editor, but will never cope with inserting images etc via html.
      Is my only option then, in order to keep the design of the template but replacing particles with module positions, so that my clients can edit the modules and therefore have access to JCE editor with toolbar like they are used to? This will end up being more work, as I will need to change each particle to a module, and therefore I may as well use a Gantry 4 template instead.

How is the 'page content' particle actually created and edited? I can see there is a Gantry 5 theme Callisto-default with particle 'page content' but I can't see where it gets the from? Is this just the default theme when using the standard Joomla article method, and it will pull in whatever 'page content' is assigned by the Joomla menu (eg single-article).

Hopefully you can understand my confused questions!
      Regards,
      Nicola
    • The following users have thanked you: Scott

• DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Menu items order being overridden by Gantry menu

• Nicola Fleming wrote:
      By default Joomla puts it last in the order of menu items. I drag it to the position that I want it to appear, but then I have to go to Gantry 5 Themes- Configure -Menu - Callistotheme and drag the menu item which is still appearing last, to the new position that I want it to appear in.

Why? Now when I create a menu item the standard Joomla way, I will have to come in here every time to reorder it? That doesn't seem right? Also difficult for my clients as there is another step in the process.
      So I tried this and I could re-order items by simply positioning them in the Joomla menu manager screen. Are you running Callisto v1.1.2 and Gantry 5 - RC3?

Nicola Fleming wrote:
      I have read the Gantry 5 documentation, but maybe I am missing the point, I couldn't actually find anything on 'how to create a page'. Are articles not generally used any more?
      Nothing has changes as to articles in Gantry 5. In your Article content manager create articles as you did in Gantry 4. The devs are working on a user selectable Editor function for use in the Gantry 5 screen.

Nicola Fleming wrote:
      How is the 'page content' particle actually created and edited? I can see there is a Gantry 5 theme Callisto-default with particle 'page content' but I can't see where it gets the from? Is this just the default theme when using the standard Joomla article method, and it will pull in whatever 'page content' is assigned by the Joomla menu (eg single-article).
      When placed in s Section the page content particle pulls in all your articles. By setting the page content as a particle you can place it in section you wish. This was not possible in Gantry 4 as the Main Body module position was your only choice.
  • Re: SOLVED Menu items order being overridden by Gantry menu

• "By default Joomla puts it last in the order of menu items. I drag it to the position that I want it to appear, but then I have to go to Gantry 5 Themes- Configure -Menu - Callistotheme and drag the menu item which is still appearing last, to the new position that I want it to appear in.

Why? Now when I create a menu item the standard Joomla way, I will have to come in here every time to reorder it? That doesn't seem right? Also difficult for my clients as there is another step in the process."

Dan wrote:
      "So I tried this and I could re-order items by simply positioning them in the Joomla menu manager screen. Are you running Callisto v1.1.2 and Gantry 5 - RC3?"

I downloaded and installed the Rocketlauncher package on the 16th June. The name of the zip file has 1.1.2 in it, however the template version in Extension Manager - Manage shows version 1.0.0. So I will try upgrading this, maybe the rocketlauncher package has the old version of the template in it? Yes, Gantry 5- RC3 is being used. I will be really pleased if this fixes it, will be much better for my client.

Dan wrote:
      The devs are working on a user selectable Editor function for use in the Gantry 5 screen.

Wow, what's the timeframe on that? Now I can really see the power that this would create, by having a proper editor available in the backend for Gantry 5.

Thanks for your other replies too.

• I upgraded the template to v1.1.2 but it didn't fix the menu ordering issue. I just added Fees & Services to the menu, and reordered it in Joomla menu manager, but it is still appearing last in the list.
      I will send you the site access details in case you want to have a look.
      REgards, Nicola

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Nicola Fleming, moderators and administrators

• Any update on this Dan? Were you able to login with the access details I provided?

Regards, Nicola
    • Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Dont worry Nicola ..... you arnt the only one
      Im having the same issue with the same template
      The top (or callisto menu) menu of mine has the same issue ... wont order in the menu manager OR rename yet the link under it updates
      The same menu used on the side-a of the blog pages DOES update so strange

Im a newbie at Gantry 5 as well and have trouble finding my way around.
      Thanks for the topic Nicola

:)
    • Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

• I see others are viewing the changes from a 'users' perspective, and how confusing it slowly turning out to be.

From a developers view, having all this power in the template is great. Absolutely awesome.
      From the user view, why are there two places to edit the menu? Why is there content INSIDE the template, versus using modules for Custom HTML?
      Yes, I know the web is being filled with Wix and Weebly and so many other template type sites, where each page has it's own content. But those are not CMS.

Good or bad, it's too soon to tell. But, I am seriously questioning whether I want to add more confusion to the managing of a website than just the default Joomla. It's hard enough for them to learn how 'articles' and 'modules' and 'menus' work. Now we add this other layer on top that seems to duplicate the common core tools, and we have the makings of "oh, this is too much. I want a simpler system, like WordPress" to which I will tell them it will be the same with WordPress, as it is RocketTheme that is the layer you don't like.

To other web creators... don't put your clients on G5 yet. It is still RC, and though it's tempting to go with the 'new' and 'better' product, it is going to be a headache to explain to the normal user. Wait till RT polishes the product. And hopefully RocketTheme will take notice of the insights brought about by those concerned about supporting the non-technical users.
    • Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Nicola Fleming wrote:
      "By default Joomla puts it last in the order of menu items. I drag it to the position that I want it to appear, but then I have to go to Gantry 5 Themes- Configure -Menu - Callistotheme and drag the menu item which is still appearing last, to the new position that I want it to appear in.

You were right - this is a bug. My lesson is don't reply to posts before going to bed because I've tried it again and as you said it doesn't work like it did in Gantry 4.

So there is a ticket in the system to rectify this and hopefully it will be in the next update ;)
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Scott wrote:
      Dont worry Nicola ..... you arnt the only one
      Im having the same issue with the same template
      The top (or callisto menu) menu of mine has the same issue ... wont order in the menu manager OR rename yet the link under it updates
      The same menu used on the side-a of the blog pages DOES update so strange

Im a newbie at Gantry 5 as well and have trouble finding my way around.
      Thanks for the topic Nicola

:)

For the interim Scott you'll have to change the order of child items in Gantry 5's Menu Editor screen.
    • The following users have thanked you: Scott

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds