Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED It pains me to write this

• Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

Re: SOLVED It pains me to write this

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Unicow, I don't think Andy meant that he dumped an alpha/beta on the community.
      I think they 'thought' it was ready for us, but learned that the users weren't ready for too much change at once.

I agree that they should have had a bit of a beta program to get feedback before releasing to us non-developers, but the important thing is that they quickly made adjustments in response to our comments.

I write it off as the usual disconnect between developers and 'normal' people who don't live and breathe for super developer features. Google does it all the time, only Google kind of dismisses complaints in an arrogance that Microsoft once had, while RocketTheme does acknowledge and work to fix things.

I have to say that RT has handled this, what I call transition mis-step, very well, explaining reasons and fixes.
    • The following users have thanked you: DanG, celsobarbieri

• Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Unicow - I think you've perhaps misunderstood a little. Gantry 5 went through 3 release candidates before we release the official Gantry 5.0. Gantry 5.0 was released after we implemented changes as a result of members doing "real world" tests on the release candidate versions. Each Gantry 5 official release is stable. If you want to use the most up-to-date "test" versions of Gantry 5 then those are available too as CI (continuous integration) builds http://gantry.org/downloads#ci-builds . CI builds are not intended for production use, but we make these available as the community helps us to test "real world" sites, give us feedback, and help us test bug fixes.

We made it clear from the outset also that Gantry 5 is our strategic platform going forward. As such, we will continuely improve it and add more features. Gantry 5 is more than capable of running production sites today, in fact, there are already hundreds if not thousands of sites using it today without any issue. Can we make it even better? Sure we can and that's exactly what we are doing, we listen hard to feedback from the community and we try to make improvements that respond to that feedback.

This is absolutely no different to what we did with all the other versions of Gantry too.

So, taking your words... We haven't "dumped" anything on our users we've been "open book" from the outset (Gantry 5 is an open source project), Gantry 5 is not "buggy" (no software can be 100% defect free - but it certainly is not unstable), and I don't think that being open about what not there yet and our plans for the future is in any way unhelpful to our user base https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/wiki/Gantry-5-Agenda,-Exploration-and-Time-Travel . I think if you read back over our blog items about Gantry 5 you'll see what I mean about being "open book".

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Brian Shea - thanks once agin for your comments. Yes, we always said Gantry 5.0 was the first release of our new strategic platform that would be improved upon as a result of community feedback and that's exactly what we have done. Yes, with the benefit of hindsight maybe for some members the first step was perhaps a little large - so we've listened and adapted our approach (this shoud be very evident if you compare "Callisto" with "Kraken" templates (the latter being much easier to understand). That's not to say that "Callisto" doesn't work, it absoluteley does, it just maybe a little harder to understand for some members.

Exactly on you point about listening to feedback. Unlike a lot of developers RT values the feedback from the community and members/users alike, and we act on that feedback to provide a better product. We don't claim to be perfect, and we don't get it right all the time, but we try our best and correct things when they go awry.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Krazza
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Rae,...thanks for the honest post...since we cant PM by the looks anymore, who (if anyone) will you use from June?..just curious...

Ive been struggling here too for over a year now (been a Dev member since Sporticus, yes nearly 9 years ago..lol).....this might be the straw that breaks the camels back too.....yet to get a G5 to work...dumped them 4 times at least in the last 2 months...

Cheers
    • Black & White must be making a come back
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Krazza, moderators and administrators
    • Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Kat05.
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
    • Krazza
    • Hero Rocketeer

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Kat05, moderators and administrators
    • Black & White must be making a come back
  • Re: SOLVED It pains me to write this

• So what Gantry 5 needs next is GLOBAL particles. That would make putting a logo or global navigation on EVERY layout at once easier. Or can this be done already? Default particle?

When starting a new layout for one of your sites pages (page that a menu item opens) can there be globally default particles already populating the new layout?

Someone mentioned the redundancy of articles and modules. Is this the case? As from what I see modules at least must still be needed. For example putting a roksprocket module into a module instance. And I thought there is no way to create and format articles inside the layout interface? At least as far as a WYSIWYG editor goes.

I think that the Gantry 5 documentation should include help to transition G4 users. It is hardly obvious to us normal people, and I see a lot of 'it's in the documentation' type responses from mods..That is fine for you all since you are working with this all the time and have been for some time. The rest of us are largely lost with achieving similar results that we had when using Gantry 4 templates.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Zoran Kanti-Paul - I just answered you here http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry5-for-joomla/249077-i-don-t-get-it-gantry-5-means-1-layout-per-page?start=0#1241790 - please read what I said. I don't think that this is the topic to be answering your specific queries based upon your misunderstandings of how Gantry 5 works. Please take the time to study the Gantry 5 documentation first and then also have a look at some of the Gantry 5 templates.

If you want to use a Gantry 4 like layout for Gantry 5 then you can - there a few "Gantry 4" presets that you can load in layout manager - In this way you can use module positions as you always have.

Please raise specific topics about any difficulties that you mage have in the appropriate template forum and we'll be happy to assist you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by MrT.
  • Re: SOLVED It pains me to write this

• MrT wrote:
      Zoran Kanti-Paul - I just answered you here http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry5-for-joomla/249077-i-don-t-get-it-gantry-5-means-1-layout-per-page?start=0#1241790 - please read what I said. I don't think that this is the topic to be answering your specific queries based upon your misunderstandings of how Gantry 5 works. Please take the time to study the Gantry 5 documentation first and then also have a look at some of the Gantry 5 templates.

If you want to use a Gantry 4 like layout for Gantry 5 then you can - there a few "Gantry 4" presets that you can load in layout manager - In this way you can use module positions as you always have.

Please raise specific topics about any difficulties that you mage have in the appropriate template forum and we'll be happy to assist you.

Regards, Mark.

Yep I will do that..Thanks for the reply in the other topic.

What about my last comments..? The part about documentation that helps G4 users move across? I still cannot find specific documentation in G5 for this..
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Please read the documentation here http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/layout-manager . This shows you how you can load a preset into layout manager that gives you similar positions to a Gantry 4 template.

You also mentioned in your other post that you are using Salient so i've done a screenshot for you of the presets available in Gantry 4.

Please remember though that Gantry 5 is not backwards compatible with Gantry 4 templates. So you may still need to add in other positions too.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds