Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

[Closed] Instructions for Adding One Gantry 5 Link to Gantry 4 Based Site

• [Closed] Instructions for Adding One Gantry 5 Link to Gantry 4 Based Site

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • I have a Gantry 4 based site on which I am going to be adding a new menu item to the main menu.

Id like to roll out using a Gantry 5 based template on the new menu item (it is our online store).

When I installed Gantry 5, even though I had not changed the defaults, the Gantry 5 hijacked the website. After taking a chill pill and pulling my heart off the ceiling, I followed the instructions to delete Gantry 5, and it is now pristine again.

Id like to get that Gantry 5 template working on the single menu link, but keep the rest of the site with the Gantry 4 template.

As far as I can tell, installing the new template also creates a new menu item, and makes the "Home" on that Home for the site - Id guess that resetting the old menu back to home would do it. But I don't want to jump into this mess without knowing what else I should be worried about.

Are there a clear set of instructions on how to do this? Id really like some guidance on this.
    • Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
      Download Valentina Studio database management for free (macOS, Windows & Linux)
      www.valentina-db.com
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: [Closed] Instructions for Adding One Gantry 5 Link to Gantry 4 Based Site

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Lynn Fredricks wrote:
      Id like to get that Gantry 5 template working on the single menu link, but keep the rest of the site with the Gantry 4 template.

As far as I can tell, installing the new template also creates a new menu item, and makes the "Home" on that Home for the site - Id guess that resetting the old menu back to home would do it. But I don't want to jump into this mess without knowing what else I should be worried about.

There is a way to alter one of our installation files to prevent this from happening, I can't find that post :(
      However once you've installed Gantry 5 then your correct just make you Gantry 4 Home item the Default again and Gantry 4 will be in charge again. So at this point you can try out Gantry 5 safely.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by DanG.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Posted 7 years 8 months ago
    • Hi Lynn,

I am currently going through our old posts and was wondering if you still need help with this issue or can we mark it as solved?

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: [Closed] Instructions for Adding One Gantry 5 Link to Gantry 4 Based Site

Posted 2 years 11 months ago
    • Hi David,

Ah, time passes! Well, we are now looking at moving to Gantry 5 again. Has anything changed in the template installers? Can I install a Gantry 5 template without it hijacking the entire site?
    • Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
      Download Valentina Studio database management for free (macOS, Windows & Linux)
      www.valentina-db.com
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 2 years 11 months ago
    • Lynnn it would be best not to post in a topic that's over 5 years old. It's better to create a new topic.

Lots has changed in five years. But, there is no upgrade path from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 it means effectively starting over as the workflows and methods for creating a site are very different between the two frameworks. Whilst Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 can co-exist on the same site I do not recommend that you do that. Assuming that you do wish to retain data from your old site, it would be better to clone the existing site to a test area, remove Gantry 4 and it's template and then install Gantry 5 and your new Gantry 5 template. I'd also recommend that you install yourself a local "rocketlauncher" copy of the chosen template which will give you an exact replica of the demo site that you can refer to.

If you are unfamiliar with Gantry 5 I'd recommend that you experiment with the rocketlauncher first to learn all the new terminology and workflows. You should also read the Gantry 5 docs and template docs too.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds