Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Inheritance: from some outlines, not others?

• SOLVED Inheritance: from some outlines, not others?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago
    • Hi,

My site has 6 theme outlines. I try to inherit particle settings from a couple of those to others. In the outline selection dropdown, only 4 of my 6 outlines appear. Why are the other 2 missing? The missing ones happen to be the important ones to me.

Thanks!
    • Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Ralf Longwitz.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Inheritance: from some outlines, not others?

• Please give me a specific example.

Please post url, superuser ID and password in the secure tab of your reply and I will look for you.

The base outline cannot inherit. You can’t inherit something if it does not exist in the other outline... eg. Section or particle type.

You can only inherit one step, you can’t inherit something that itself is inheriting.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Inheritance: from some outlines, not others?

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I tried again and removed all inheritances I found, and now the outlines actually turned up. I found no mention of such issues anywhere in the documentation or the videos. And I thought that other outlines that appeared and that I inherited from did have inheritances. But I'm not sure. Rather confusing.

Maybe you could display the elements that cannot be inherited from greyed out with titles saying why they cannot be used rather than just hide them. Could have saved me a couple of hours.

Also inheritance seems to be unreliable sometimes, I'm not sure you're aware of issues. Sometimes I try to inherit a particle, and then get a 404. Then I move around the site a bit, clear cache etc., then sometimes it works. Randomly. Sometimes it seems to work, but the wrong particles show up in the list. Then again, I try to clear things, return, do the same thing and then sometimes it works.
      I'm just never sure if I'm doing something wrong or if Gantry is just a bit capricious ...

Thanks again.

Regards, Ralf
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Inheritance: from some outlines, not others?

• I am not aware of any issues with inheritance so next time you have a specific example please raise a topic and I can investigate.

404's are "not found" and therefore very unlikely to be inheritance related.

We won't be changing how inheritance works - it's stable now and has been for quite some time.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Inheritance: from some outlines, not others?

• Since it only happens sometimes and I cannot always replicate it, I cannot easily give you an example. I can send you a screenshot next time it happens.

The 404s appear when I select an outline to inherit from, and the particles to select from appear. I then click on the question mark icon, and in the popup that appears, instead of the particle content, I see the 404 message. So the issue is totally inheritance related, but perhaps not due to inheritance.

I don't expect you to change how inheritance works. Just hoping you might expand on the documentation. I've used lots of page builders and frameworks, and I find Gantry the hardest to use, so far. I believe the docs do deserve more love.
      Thanks!

Regards, Ralf

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds