Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Knowing Joomla Dev: How is a WordPress Site Built?

• SOLVED Knowing Joomla Dev: How is a WordPress Site Built?

Posted 3 years 1 week ago
    • I've been a RocketTheme Joomla customer for many years and am now transitioning to WordPress due to customer demand.

I've looked at the RocketTheme documentation: https://rockettheme.com/docs/wordpress . But, it hasn't helped me in practical terms to know how to create a site using RocketTheme's Gantry system. For example, a step-by-step doc for creating a page, understanding how positions are used, and how a menu item aggregates content does not seem to be covered.

Modules, Positions, Layouts, Particles, and Menu aggregation rules in Joomla: are there correspondences to WordPress with RocketTheme/Gantry?

Is there a tutorial that helps developers that are used to the concepts in RocketTheme/Gantry Joomla development to learn how these translate to WordPress development? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    • Steve Amerige, Server Science Incorporated
      Server Leasing | Web Software Development | User Experience & Graphic Design
      Managed Services, Website, Java, and Source-Code Hosting
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Knowing Joomla Dev: How is a WordPress Site Built?

• Hi Steve. The first thing I need to know is are you talking about Gantry 5 themes or Gantry 4?

If Gantry 5 then the site development process between Joomla and Wordpress (or even GRAV for that matter) is very similar. If you're using Gantry 5 I'd use Gantry 5 particle where every you can before dropping back to CMS specific items (like modules in Joomla or Widgets in Wordpress) - that will make like much easier for you to make the transition. Although not an exact equivalence you can basically say:

Wordpress Joomla
      Widget = Module
      Widget position = Module position
      Post = Article
      Page Article/component

In general terms you would only really use modules or widgets if you need to use third-party provided plugins. If you don't need that then stick to Gantry 5 particles on the layout of your outline - it keeps thing much easier to understand.

General advice for how to build a page in Gantry 5 is the same for Wordpress or Joomla. Create the menu item, create a new outline, assign that outline to the menu item, add the content on the layout of your outline (remembering that you can inherit common content like navigation header, footer, and copyright section from your base outline so you don't have to duplicate it). This approach can lead to a lot of outlines, but it does make things simple to understand. There are still some cases when you wouldn't want to take that approach but I won't confuse you know by going through all those cases.

I have to flip back and forth between all the CMSs and even I get confused sometimes - my advice to you is to embrace the ONE CMS that you intend to use and avoid making too many comparisions to other CMSs because there are differences and it will confuse you if you try to too closely replicate what you do in another CMS.

If you're talking Gantry 4 - then that is more of a head banger :( as between the two CMSs they are quite a lot more different. Bu, honestly, if you are starting new projects don't start using Gantry 4 now... it's nearing the end of it's life and Gantry 5 is much more powerful and flexible.

The best way of understanding what works for you is to start with a rocketlauncher package and just edit the demo content. If you have any specific question then please rais new topics in the forum for each in the appropriate template forum and we'll be pleased to assist you further.

Gantry 5 docs can be found here http://docs.gantry.org/ (that includes videos) and there is also documentation for each theme that tells you exactly how the home page of each of the themes has been constructed.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Knowing Joomla Dev: How is a WordPress Site Built?

• Thanks Mark, as always you give great advice. I'm using Gantry 5 and starting with the RocketLauncher for Horizon. The first sites I'm building are both beekeeping sites, so the Horizon hexagons are a natural fit!

Again, thanks, I'm ready to dive in!
    • Steve Amerige, Server Science Incorporated
      Server Leasing | Web Software Development | User Experience & Graphic Design
      Managed Services, Website, Java, and Source-Code Hosting

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds