Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED First steps ? In upgrading to J4 while only having Gantry 4 Templates

• Rod
    • Elite Rocketeer

SOLVED First steps ? In upgrading to J4 while only having Gantry 4 Templates

Posted 1 year 9 months ago
    • I've really been looking through the fourms for the past few days and havent found what i'm looking for.. I have a good amount of sites running G4 Templates.. I am planning and starting to look into the path I need to take to get these sites to J4 and Gantry 5.. And I've never used Gantry 5... Could someone lay out a few first steps.. I know I need new templates and Gantry 5.. but can I upgrade the sites to J4 then install a new template and Gantry 5?

I'm assuming I will lose all module layouts and everything.. ?
      I am not a big fan of the full page look of the sites now adays.. In G5 can I block it out with modules and new background images? Like anyway to make a site look like one I did here.. flynfishsportfishing.com/ My clients love their look of thier sites.. I was hopping I could bring it back to close of what I did for them years ago..
      A big road ahead of me...

Rod..
    • Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Rod.
    • Heavy Duty Truck Parts
      NJ Fishing
      Beach Haven Fishing Charters
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED First steps ? In upgrading to J4 while only having Gantry 4 Templates

• There is no "upgrade" path from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5, you effectively start over again. But if you have to stick with your existing site then do the following:
      1. Copy the whole existing site to a test server because this is a destructive process. Then on the test site...
      2. Install Gantry 5 and your chosen G5 template.
      3. Assign your home menu item to the "home" outline of the new template and make the "default" outline of your new theme the default (yellow starred template).
      4. Unassign any other G4 templates.
      5. Uninstall the G4 template and uninstall Gantry 4.
      6. Uninstall any RT "rok" extensions.
      7. Now start building your site using particles/outlines. This will likely take you the longest time.
      8. Test your site and when all ok backup with Akeeba backup and restore this back to your production server.

Regards, Mark
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Rod
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED First steps ? In upgrading to J4 while only having Gantry 4 Templates

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds