Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

You are not authorized to access that page, please login...

SOLVED Looking for Template replacement for jPeople before upgrade

• SOLVED Looking for Template replacement for jPeople before upgrade

Posted 1 year 8 months ago
    • I have been using the jPeople free template on my website for many years, but it is not compatible with Joomla! 4.x. As I am preparing to upgrade (currently on J! 3.10.11), I have joined Rockettheme to find a suitable replacement. I don't mind paying for a template if it does the job. My website is a small sports club, with a featured article on the frontpage, a list of upcoming events in the right hand panel. The URL is brightonbelle.org .

I'd be grateful for a few suggestions to get me started.

Thanks
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Looking for Template replacement for jPeople before upgrade

• Any of our Gantry 5 base templates could do that (from Callisto onwards). I'd actually suggest using one of the more recent templates as they tend to have a little more functionality. Manticore is one of my favourites and is the one I tend to use for my own clients.

Your subscription enables you to download any of our Joomla templates for the duration of your subscription.

If you're intending to move to J4 then make sure that you uninstall any RT extensions included with your chosen template (some do have them preinstalled) as they do not work on J4.

Have a look through the demos - there are plenty of templates to choose from.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Looking for Template replacement for jPeople before upgrade

• Many thanks for the quick reply, Mark. Do I need to install the Gantry 5 framework, or is it OK to use the Manticore template, for eaxample, standalone?

Bob
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Yes, you have to install Gantry 5 framework, then manticore standalone template (if you are doing this to an existing site). If you are starting afresh I'd actually suggest starting with the rocketlauncher package since this contains joomla, gantry, template and demo data all in one (even if you can't do this at least make a local installation using it that you can refer to to see how things are done).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Server Details (Linux/Windows, Hosting service, etc)Linux on Hosting Service
      PHP version7.4
      Platform (name and version)_replace_here
      Template/Extension (name and version)Gantry 5 + Manticore
      Link to the Issue_replace_here_

I am upgrading from Joomla!3 to Joomla!4. The procedure I followed is:
      1. Create new folder (mine is called j4) in ~/public_html
      2. Copy all files & folders in ~/public_html to ~/public_html/j4
      3. Export current database
      5. Create new database, user, password
      6. Import current database to new database
      7. Edit $user, $password, $db in ~/public_html/j4/configuration.php to point to new database
      8. Open new test site/administrator in a browser

I then installed Gantry 5 and Manticore in the test system ~/public_html/j4 but I noticed that the Manticore template also installed into the live site, and made itself default.

I realise that this crosstalk between the live site and the test site could be a hosting server problem or a Joomla! problem, but it was the installation of Gantry 5 & Manticore which seemed to trigger it, so I thought I would ask here.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• If you want to clone a site you should always use akeeba backup and akeeba kickstart. What you describe is exactly what you would get if you had not change the database name and password to the test environment.

Try again using akeeba kickstart.

Regards, Mark

• Thank you. That is very reassuring, because although a part of me is absolutely sure I set up the new database correctly, the logical part of me recognises that cannot be so. I have now successfully completed the upgrade of my test site and installed Gantry 5 Frameworks with Manticore. Problem solved.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds