Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Configuring modules inherited from other outlines

• Felice
    • Jr. Rocketeer

SOLVED Configuring modules inherited from other outlines

Posted 1 year 6 months ago
    • Hi,

I have followed the directions in the Gantry Inherithance guide but I am experiencing several problems configuring the Default Outline.
      In the Home Outline I have not encountered any problems, I have configured the Home Page as I wanted, but for reasons you know better than me, I must use the Defalt Outline.
      I have duplicated the Default Outline to try the new configuration, I'd like that the Bgslideshow module appears only in the Homepage but I cannot get the desired results with any of the methods I tried.

Attempt 1: Create a new Module Instance (Gantry Particle Slideshow) at the Slideshow position of the duplicate Default Outline
      (this is fine for the fact that it appears only in the Home page, it's not good because I don't understand how to add items, images, etc. to the slideshow);

Attempt 2: Insert a new Particle (Bgslideshow) inherithed from Home into the Slideshow position of the Duplicated Default Outline, but in this case I have the problem that the Slideshow module appears in all pages, even though it's configured as I would like.

Attempt 3: Create a new particle (Bgslideshow) with no inheritance in the Slideshow position of the Default Outline Duplicate, but again I have the problem that the Slideshow module appears in all pages and I don't remember how to delete the pre-loaded background image;

I have more or less the same inheritance problems in the Main menu module in the Navigation position: if from the Layout (Default) admin panel I load the "Home Particles" presets, the main menu appears exactly as in the Home Page (configured as I would like and with the desired colors and effects) also in the Duplicate Default Outline:
      but the problem is that loading the "Home Particles" presets it loads all the Home page particles.

I tried to inherit only the Navigation section from the Base Outlines, but the style is different (logo text color, menu text, hover effects...). It doesn't take effect the style inheritance.

I copied the Style settings of the hHome page, but I can't find a section for the logo text color.
      How can I configure the main menu of the Default Outline with the same colors as the Home page (Preset 1 of the demo)?

Thank you in advance, Felix

(Joomla 4.4.3/Gantry 5.5/Supra theme)
    • Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Felice.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Configuring modules inherited from other outlines

• Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Felice
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Felice, moderators and administrators
    • Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Felice.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Oh dear, there's so much wrong here I don't really know where to begin. In essence the set-up should be as we provided in the supra rocketlauncher but you've moved completely away from that.

This is what you should have:

1. an outline called "default" (and set as default template in template manager - yellow starred). That outline should not have anything on it's layout that is "page specific" - it should just be "general" module positions or common page content. It shoul d not be assigned to any page.
      2. an outline called "home" assigned to the "home" menu item only (on assignmenta tab of outline). The content of this outline should be "page specific" I.e. the content is specific to the home page only e.g. the bgslideshow
      3. The base outline layout should have the "common" parts of your site e.g. the navigation, logo, footer, copyright etc
      4. The "default" and "home" outline layouts can be told to "inherit" the "common" parts of the layout from the base outline layout to avoid duplication and having to maintain these in multiple places.
      5. When you want design other pages (menu items) you could just use modules and assign these to module positions defined on the "default" outline layout. The default outline is the one that will be used by any page (menu item) of your site UNLESS you specifically assign a different outline - which takes me to my next point. You could create a new outline and assign it to your menu item and then put all the "page specific" content on the layout (like you did with the home outline layout). You can still use "inheritance" on part of the page that are "common" (to inherit from the base outline layout). The first method give you a minimal number of outlines and the flexibility to joomla ACL, but it's a bit harder to understand and "see" what you are doing. The second method is easier to "see" what you are doing but it gives rise to lots more outlines. In reality you will use a combination of the two methods.
      6. An outline layout can have different "shapes" (organisation of the sections that make up the layout). It is common to have a "home" page that has a different "shape" (arrangement of the sections) to the "internal" pages of your site. You get these different arrangements by choosing a layout preset on the "LOAD" button on the layout of your outline (heed any mwarning messages as you can lose content). In the rocketlauncher the Supra template use the "home" layout preset for the "honme" outline and used the "default" layout preset for most (but not all) of the internal pages of the site.

So, read the above carefully and you will see where you have gone wrong. You've made the outline "wild blue predefinto" the default template (which means it will be used by all pages of your site unless you specifically assign a different outline), yet you've made all the content on that outline specific to the "home" menu item - so this is why all your pages look like "home".

You edit particle content by clicking on the "settings" icon (the cog) on the layout of the appropriate outline layout.

Styles are always inherited from the base outline styles unless your tick the override box next to a style and change the value.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Felice
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Thank you very much for the valuable look at the site, I will read carefully your directions.
      (yes I know many things are wrong, it was just a setup for you to understand the best solutions)

Best regards
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok, let us know how you get on or if you have any further questions.

Regards, Mark.
    • Felice
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 1 year 4 months ago
    • Oh my, I thought I had already replied a while ago to consider this topic solved but I don't see my reply.
      Anyway, I had not been using gantry for many years and there was a very basic mistake at the base: not using multiple outlines (Home, Default, Base outline etc.).

I solved it by going over the Gantry 5 guide and applying exactly what Mark exposed above in points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
      Thanks again, regards,
      Felice

[SOLVED]

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds