Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Remove Old Favicon Link

• CLS52
    • Rocketeer

SOLVED Remove Old Favicon Link

Posted 3 months 2 weeks ago
    • Hi,

I'm running Joomla 5 and Gantry 5 with RT Audacity template on my site www.itcareerfinder.com/ .

Over a week ago I updated the favicon and touch-icon to a new png file (via Base Outline > Page Settings). The new icon is showing up in broswer tabs, but the old favicon is still showing up in Google search results. I've already had Google reindex the homepage, and deleted all of the old favicon files from the template root (the previous method for including favicons before J4).

I know it may just be a wait before G updates to new icon, but I noticed an extra line in my source code - see first of the 3 lines below (underlined). I'm wondering if G is getting confused by the first icon line with the blank href and just serving the old icon they had indexed.

<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/" />
      <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="180x180" href="/images/itcareerfinder-favicon.png?65a1a529">
      <link rel="icon" sizes="192x192" href="/images/itcareerfinder-favicon.png?65a1a529">

Is there a way to remove this empty line of code from site? Other suggestions to get G to display current icon?

Thanks!
      Daniel
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: SOLVED Remove Old Favicon Link

• No, I don't think Google is confused and thusly rendering an old image... I do think it'll update itself eventually.

As to what's generating that line... it shouldn't be Gantry... If you've explicitly set the correct path in the favicon box on your Outline's Page Settings tab then that's exactly what the href should be pointing to...

So either Joomla or some other 3rd party plugin is setting that line... Joomla will look for a file called "favicon.ico" in the template root folder on in templates/template_name/images/ -- as far as I know anyways.... if it doesn't find that file it shouldn't output any <link rel=icon...> tag...

More here: docs.joomla.org/J4.x:Favicons
    • The following users have thanked you: CLS52

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • CLS52
    • Rocketeer

• Ok, I'll keep waiting for now, thanks for the info. If it is a 3rd party plugin, I'm stumped on which one, I've looked thoroughly.
    • CLS52
    • Rocketeer

• Upon further examination, I think it may be an issue with the G5 Audacity template. I have another site running a different G5 RocketTheme template (Studius) - www.psychologybachelors.org/ - and the icon image entered in page settings is displaying correctly in the source code for all pages, and showing properly in Google.

Here's the line from source code of the Studius site:
      <link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/templates/rt_studius/custom/images/psychology-degree-brain-icon.png" />

Based on the href above from the working site, I manually placed the icon image for ITCareerFinder.com in the /templates/g5_audacity/custom/images/ folder ). This made some progress! - the correct source code is now displaying at the top of the homepage only - www.itcareerfinder.com/ - but it's still displaying the old empty code on all internal pages - e.g. www.itcareerfinder.com/it-careers.html .

Based on this info, any idea how I can get the proper code for the icon to display on all pages?

Thanks!
      Daniel
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Please validate that you have the correct file path set on your various Outlines > Page Settings > Favicon.... what you described sounds to me like you had a "bad" file path initially on your Home/other Outlines... perhaps the image was set at one time then deleted via FTP or some other means and no longer existed where it was previously set... and now you've gone and added the image to the specified location, fixing it on your Home Outline at least.

Note that you're saying you put the image in /templates/g5_audacity/custom/images/ -- but that what's rending on the frontend is not that path... it's itcareerfinder.com/images/browser-icon-itcareerfinder.png that's rendering for the homepage <link> tag
    • The following users have thanked you: CLS52

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • CLS52
    • Rocketeer

• Good call Matt! I had the proper file in Base Outline, and I thought all outlines were using that, but the old favicon path was in the Default Outline. Problem resolved. Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds