0 items Join Now

SOLVED Best Practices for Gantry 5

• jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

SOLVED Best Practices for Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    • Hello!

Where can I read something about the methodology of working with Gantry 5 in general, about best practices and methodology? Not about specifics and HowTo's, but ideology?

Thanks!
    • — We don’t put dates, with a date the document becomes invalid.
      © Tomcat Behemoth, “The Master and Margarita” by Mikhail Bulgakov
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Best Practices for Gantry 5

• http://docs.gantry.org/

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• MrT wrote: Mark, this is very witty. )
      I'm about ideology, not about the details.
      So, no such information in the public domain? Hm?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• My reply wasn't intended to be witty? That is our complete doumentation on Gantry 5 - it gives a thorough explanation of the key concepts and methodolgies and includes several videos too. We don't have anything else. Our documentation is under constant development and we are improving it all the time. Right now that's all we have.

If you can be more specific I might be able to assist further.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• With the utmost respect.
      1. What a reason to setup Module with "Particle" in content? Maybe the right way is organize all the things like "data > view"? And don't put some data into Particles, but put data into Arcticles or Modules, and then show that with Particles? And moreover don't put data into Module with a data from Particle ("view" element)? Phh... Sure my perfect English not too hard to understanding. ) DanG understand my dialect well. ))
      2. What's a reason to organize "key" field in a Particles vs just place Module Instanse in there?
      3. What's a best way to organize data flow with Gantry 5: put data into Articles/Modules and then show that with Gantry's view? Where is the way? All of examples in Gantry, they are all filled with data, not references to data.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by jooru.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• 1. If you set up a Gantry 5 module particle (i.e. a module containing a particle) then that gives you the ability to assign it to a module position on your layout. A particle on it's own would be directly added to the layout. So, in this way, that module position could be on several different outline layouts (all called the same) and that means that you can share a single particle across many different outline layouts thereby avoiding repeating particles on different layouts. So, in short, it's a method of being able to share particles across different outline layouts.

Particles are independent of the CMS used - Gantry 5 now works on both Wordpress and Joomla. "Modules" and "Articles" are Joomla specific. Particles work within Gantry 5 and because of that they work on both Wordpress and Joomla. We will be adding more platforms in the future too.

Particles also try to present a simpler method of getting rich functionality on your site without having to know coding. They usually offer configurable options in their setting making it much easier for novice users. Particles can also be dragged on/off/around the layout in an easy to understand way without being constrained by the traditional "module positions".

2. The same as in 1. above. If you use a "module instance" particle then you are saying the space will always be occupied by a single module. Whereas if you create a "module position" particle on the layout then you have the choice of what modules your want to assign there. This in turn makes it more likely that your can share the same outline for multiple menu items (pages) of your website with just the content in the "module position" changing. You should try to keep the number of outlines to a minimum. Taking the two extremes, you could have just one outline with only "module position" particles on the layout and then populate all content in those positions through module manager. Conversely you can have one outline/layout for every page on your site with the layout made up of just Gantry 5 particles (no module positions at all). The reality will be somewhere between the two.

3. This one I understand you less... But i'll try and answer you...
      Gantry 5 is about giving you creative freedom. We're not forcing your to use articles, modules or particles. We're giving you the flexibility to decide for yourself what suits your needs. If you are converting an existing site then you will most likely have lots of articles and modules... no problem you can still use them... you can have "module position" particles on you layouts to which you can assign the modules and you would have a "page content" particle on your layout in which all joomla "component" output is rendered (this includes articles). Ask yourself these questions:
      Do I want to share this content on lots of pages?
      Do I want to use the functionality that a particle offers?
      Do I want to use the functionaility that a module offers?
      How can I keep the number of outlines to a minimum?

In reliality this no different to the choices you would have had under Gantry 4 - i.e. should I put my content in an article or should I put it into a customHtml module? Then, other products also came into play to give you the flexibility to actually not have to make a choice - i.e. modulesanywhere and articlesanywhere products from nonumber.

In short, those no hard and fast rules here - it's your choice as the designer.

I hope that helps you.

Regards, Mark.
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• I read it twice and will read again, and will understand it completely as an idea.
      It is hoped that this information will be useful to many people. And Yes: we can't read info like that in doc.gantry.org.
      Mark, you wrote very useful and intelligible article.
      Thank you!
      See you soon. )
    • The following users have thanked you: Brian Shea

• Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

• Mark, those explanations were great.
      I had read the docs before and it was not explaining the concept as well as what you just did.

It seems that now we have 'Gantry 4' outlines which is perfect because I don't need all this customizing.
      I'm using a CMS for the concept of Content Management.

Gantry 5, by making it cross-platform compatible, confuses things by enticing all content to be added via Outlines. And that goes against the basic concept of CMS where 'data' is viewed in a template.

Adding the Gantry 4 grid is a big plus, and I'm assuming the same will be done with the other systems like Wordpress.

My biggest problem with the beta of G5 was the complete escape from the G4 grid and concept of using the CMS for the content/data. Now with the ease of using a Gantry4 outline, I'll probably try Gantry 5 again (hesitantly).
    • Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Brian Shea - I'm glad that helped you. Have a look at the Salient template - the number of outlines is much less in that template meaning that, in general, you can do everything "old school" (like Gantry 4) just by assigning modules to module positions. But I also think that you will find that the layout manager in Gantry 5 offers much more flexibility that Gantry 4 did so you should give that a try too.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds