0 items Join Now

SOLVED Callisto J3.4.3 - Default Template & Template Overrides in Gantry 5

• Chemory
    • Rocketeer

SOLVED Callisto J3.4.3 - Default Template & Template Overrides in Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    • Hi Gents & Mr T :)

Hope this finds you all well :)

Site is joomla-websites.biz/sabinet/index.php and is up to date: J3.4.3, Callisto.

This is my first go round with Gantry 5 and I can see the pros and cons from both sides... took me a while to get used to Gantry 4 and I can see how 5 will be nice once we're used to it. I just prefer the compact layout of Gantry 4 :)

My question is about the template overrides though. I've figured everything out, but it seems like if I make any changes to my default template, I then need to carry them over to any template overrides manually - that's a lot of duplication of work. In Gantry 4, we only had to change what was relevant for that template override and the rest of the elements carried through by default.

I've searched and I haven't seen this posted anywhere, or anything similar. So is that meant to happen or is it a problem on my side? Or is there something stupid I'm missing that will get common elements to be built from the default template?

Thanks in advance :)

Chem xo
    • Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Chemory.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Callisto J3.4.3 - Default Template & Template Overrides in Gantry 5

• So does that mean MrT isn't a gent? :) LOL

What your need to be doing is keeping the "unqiue" stuff to a minimum in your outlines otherwise taking it to it's extreme you will end up with onne outline for every page and have to repeat doing change over and over for each layout. Taking the other extreme you could have just one outline and fill the layout with module positions into which you can assign module as you always have in the past in Gantry 4. The reality willl be somewhere between the two extremes, but the premise stilll holds true - keep outlines to a minimum.

If you want to share content across different pages (menu items) then you can create a module position on the layout of one or more outlines (even with the same name position). There is also a Gantry 5 particle module that is effectvely a wrapper for Gantry 5 particles so you can share them (As modules) across many outlines too.

Returning to the two extreme examples that I gave above, Salient would illustrate the "minimal" outlines case, whereas "callisto" would illustrate the other (i.e. many unique "page" outlines).

I hope that makes it a little clearer - have a look at those two templates and I think it will be clear what I mean. Obviously Callisto was the first G5 template and Salient the most recent - even we had to learn too... "less outlines is better".

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Chemory
    • Rocketeer

• LOL.... you get special mention cos you're my favourite :)

I kind of was figuring that, and I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. I've devved for that anyway cos I figured out what it was, but do you think this is something that will be rectified in future?

Where can I go to participate in the conversation and beta test? Been very involved in sysdev across my career and maybe I can contribute something :)

Thanks for the response gents and Mr T :) Hope you have a wonderful day xo
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Errrrr "Rectified"? There nothing to be rectified that the way Gantry 5 works I.e. you can do everything "old school" (the Gantry 4 way) by having one outline filled with only module positions if you really want to (much like Salient) or your can embrace more of the features of Gantry 5 and use particles more (even if in modules) - so I think we've provided the best of both worlds? Yes things can (and will be improved going forward - see below).

You can participate in the Gantry 5 discussions here https://gitter.im/gantry/gantry5 . We're way beyond the beta programme now and now have Gantry 5 in production (currently 5.1). We also have the CI (continuous integration) build of Gantry 5 where you can take the latest versions of Gantry 5 before they are released http://gantry.org/downloads#ci-builds . As Gantry 5 is open source you can also seem all the issues outstanding here https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues . Also, the future directions of Gantry 5 here https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/wiki/Gantry-5-Agenda,-Exploration-and-Time-Travel .

I hope that helps.

... and thanks for the compliment :)

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds