Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5 Conversion from Gantry 4

• Donald White
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Sr. Technical Communicator

SOLVED Gantry 5 Conversion from Gantry 4

Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    • What are the steps involved when converting an RT-themed Gantry 4 Joomla Website to use an RT template requiring Gantry 5? I have read through the documentation but, while it is extensive, it presumes that one begins with a new Website and a fresh RT theme installation, etc.

I have attempted this with a draft site I built around the Myriad/Gantry 4 template. Let's just say that there were problems.

Thank you!
    • Donald White
      James River Technical Communications
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 Conversion from Gantry 4

• First I would not be doing this on a production site... So clone your site and do the migration there.

1. install Gantry 5 and whichever template that you wish to use
      2. the installation will add a new menu for the chosen template and make that new menu default and the new template default.
      3. You may have some existing Gantry 4 overrides so you will need to unassign those in template manager
      4. most likely you will need to make your original menu the default menu item
      5. Most likely all the positions that you previously used will not be on the default outline for Gantry 5 - there is a preset called "Gantry 4" should you wish to try that layout.

Most important I think you should set up a Gantry 5/rocketlaucher locally and learn how to use gantry 5 and the new template first - Gantry 5 is quite different to Gantry 4 and by jumping straight into a migration you will probablu confuse yourself a lot.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Donald White
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thank you! Regarding menus...I've a few additional questions:
      1. Why is a Gantry5 template menu created along with the carried over Main Menu?
      2. How do I assign the Main Menu as the default menu in all template instances? If it is assigned in the default template, is it also assigned in the "Home" template and any other template that I clone from the default menu?
      3. The Gantry5 "Home" template is shown as assigned automatically. Cannot the default Gantry5 template be used with all pages?

The site I'm working with is in the design & development stage. All Joomla articles have been cloned from the original Website, but this is a new effort and is not open to the public.

Again, thank you very much.

Sincerely, Don
    • Donald White
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • 1. Because that is how we provide the demo content. Each template installs it's own menu so that we can assign the demo outlines to those pages (menu items) so you can see exactly how we recreated the demo.

2. go to joomla menu manager - go to your "main menu" and then on the "home" menu item click on the "star" to make it the default menu/item. Provided you have not changed the menu particle setting (in the outlines or on the layouts in the outline) they should all be set to "default menu" which will mean that the menu you just set to default will then be used.

3. You could assign this to as many menu items(pages) as you like yes - but then they would all look like the home page - so I'm not sure why you would want that? Remember the layout in an outline can have particles on it directly (not via module positions) and that is what the home layout has (sample content particles on the layout). The outline you want to be assigned to all you pages is actually "default" and that is the one that will be used (without needing to be assigned) because it should be the default template in template manager (again because it has been "starred").

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Donald White
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • Thanks very much!
    • Donald White

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds