Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5 - 3 months later

• Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

SOLVED Gantry 5 - 3 months later

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • I must admit after using Gantry 5 for 3 weeks as an option to upgrade my site ..... i Kept my site on Gantry 4
      I was totally lost
      BUT
      I bit the bullet and did a rocketlauncher /demo/ and a fresh install of the Theme + Gantry 5
      After a little while of playing and reading it became SO EASY ... the fresh install pver the launcher made it so much easier.
      I am motoring round gantry 5 now and love its features and toys
      My "only" complaint is its a little slow between config pages .... im sure that must improve (page load time)

SO I guess the following dont get thanked much but ....
      A pat on the back for the developers down to the mods and other users who support and make GANTRY 5 the best framework out there

Cheers
      Scott
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Scott.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Goode, Kat05, Henning, DanG, MrT, Matias Griese, rikard0

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 - 3 months later

• Thank you so much for you kind comments (which I will share with the team). I have to say that your experience is not uncommon, often members feel a little daunted when they first start with Gantry 5 (as with any new product) but then the more they use it the more they grow to love it.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Scott

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• awww choice Mr T .... I hope it make those hard working peoples day

thanks also for moving to correct section

:)
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Scott.
    • quota
    • Rocketeer
    • DesignWebVideo

• I agree Scott. I think 5 is a huge improvement. Over a weekend I was able to get 90% up to speed on Gantry 5 by building a site from scratch . It speeds up development especially with the module content and positions being all in the same place. There's no need for testing where things will fall on a page or "what's the name of that position?" in the layout tab. Just plugging in content. Managing existing Gantry 4 sites is already seeming antiquated.

I found http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/basics to be indispensable.

Well done RT!
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by quota.
    • The following users have thanked you: DanG, MrT

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• quota - thanks very much for the positive feedback - i've passed it on to the team.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• quota wrote:
      I agree Scott. I think 5 is a huge improvement. Over a weekend I able to get 90% up to speed on Gantry 5 by building a site from scratch .

Hi Tom

For me it's been an eye-opener. I recently took on the challenge of "transplanting" a Gantry 4 Plethora template into a Gantry 5 Ambrosia. It's been challenging but on my second day now and the page layouts are just about finalized.

Where Gantry 5 has been a real BOON, is all the basic Gantry 4 CSS styling code I didn't have to adapt as I used the Variations picker in the particle to apply the styling.

So for all of you lamenting about not being able to use your Gantry 4 templates under Gantry 5 - I'm here to say it is totally DOABLE
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • The following users have thanked you: quota, Scott

• quota
    • Rocketeer
    • DesignWebVideo

• I hadn't noticed the Variations picker. Just checked it out. Killer feature!
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

• Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • me too .... must be blind

Still love gantry 5 ..... customers refuse it :(
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Scott wrote:
      me too .... must be blind

Still love gantry 5 ..... customers refuse it :(

I swear I wrote a 3 page guide on using the Gantry 4 Layout sliders for module position width becasue it was so confusing for our users. It's a snap with Gantry 5 as its totally visual with totally adjustable widths.

So help me look past my blinders...what is it that the don't like about the Gantry 5 template manager panel versus Gantry 4's ???
    • The following users have thanked you: Scott

• Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• for me it was looking at too much buttins and features and missing the obvious. How it is now is perfect
      I also missed your guide amongst the docs and forum posts ..... this is my own fault for not rereading regularly the relevant docs as you guys are doing an awesome job changing them as issues arise that could be explained better

So it is more of me following my own instinct rather than reading and also with having a little gantry 4 still in my head. I think new users who have never seen gantry 4 would not have the issues a lot of us have eg: my boss who has never seen gantry 4 flys around the interface with his only complaint of joomla menus not updating without using the gantry menu option .... he is rapt and put it miles ahead of drupal his previous cms

Nothing you could have done would have changed it ..... it was in my own head

ps .... you rock danG!!

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds