Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

How to backup the template to install same on another site

• How to backup the template to install same on another site

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Hi,

How to backup the template to install same on another site. I want to use the same style for set of websites. So I am thinking of having worked on the template on a site, and then backup the template with database tables and every other thing and get a ready zip to install the newly style template. How can I generate such zip? I can create zip of template files, but how about template database tables to be copied and which tables? Also need to know how the module positions will be managed?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: How to backup the template to install same on another site

• Most of it is not stored in the database but rather than in flat files (that's why Gantry 5 is so fast). Really the best thing to do is to just backup the whole site using akeeba backup and then clone that to other sites. You don't want to start trying to manipulate the files themselves as there is a lot of interdependency.

You can customize theme files though if you wish http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/advanced/customizing-theme-files

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: How to backup the template to install same on another site

• Hi,

Thaks for your reply. Yes I am aware of the akeeba backup. But the problem is I already have ready site with some differnt styling on it. So I am trying to copy this new style on it. And so I can not use akeeba as I do not want to overwirte the current site data with akeeba backup.

So the idea is develope the required styling with required positions and settings, create a zip of the template once ready and apply that template zip to current live site to get the style chanages where the data of current site reamin intact as it is, just the look will change. We can install the template and do the style changes manually, but when you want to do the same for more than 20 sites, its better to have a zip to install and apply the new template. And that is why I need something that will create backup of required stuff from the joomla site to make it available to install on any other joomla site.

Hope this explains.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok so I can't guarantee this will be error free but you might like to try this...

1. On site you wish to clone details make a note off gantry and template version. then backup /templates/xxxxx/custom/config
      2. on site where you wish to use the details make sure you have exactly the same version of gantry and template installed.
      3. overwrite /templates/xxxxx/custom/config with the backup copy that you made from donor site.

The above process will NOT copy modules or menus or new outlines - they are in the database so you would need to do that with phpmyadmin

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: How to backup the template to install same on another site

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I will try this. What I have noticed is, templateDetails.xml file has positions. So may be they will also get copied. The benefit I have is all the sites are clone with respective data in it. So I can copy the entire template folder in that case.

The thing I noticed so far, even if I added the template folder in the site, the database do not take a note of the same. I have gone through all the files from Hydrogen template for gantry 5.1.4 and I have not found any details about how I can make the database aware that there is new template folder or files present in the account. Do you have any reference about how this template add the database entry?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• templateDetails.xml also get's written to by Gantry 5 admin so yes you're probably going to have to copy that too. As I said, I can't guarantee that this approach is error free, and I certainly can't endorse it, What you are trying to do is not something we offer in Gantry 5 so you'll have to try it out for yourself.

What do you mean about new template and database files? If you take the appriach I suggested the database entires would have been created at the time you did the normal install of the template (before you overwrote the specific files). I deliberately suggested it this way so you would not have to worry about the database part (apart from modules).

You may also find it useful to discuss this with other developers and our development team on github (Gantry 5 is an opensource project) https://gitter.im/gantry/gantry5 .

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds