Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Suggestion on Improving Gantry 5

• Suggestion on Improving Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • Hello there,

I recently replied to a post about dropping out from Gantry 5. But after pulling my hairs for 3 days with the Hydrogen Template; I kinda figured it out.
      The current documentation for Hydrogen is very limited and not enough details about its operation. For Example, I was looking for module variations and I did not find anything ralated. Within the Layout in the Hydrogen template I did see some variable items...but when I tried it on physical modules...No effect. Is there any module variations at all on this Hydrogen template?

Grantry 5 is not so bad really. In fact it is looking great!

Gantry 5 is really promissing. The issues I was having had to do with two layouts/templates (Hydrogen Defaul and Hydrogen home) after the Hydrogen Installation; which made it very confusing.

A few features that I would like to see in Gantry 5 is the possibility of setting images as background, Backgrounds as the ones seen with Osmosis and Myriad where the iamges goes behind the menus. and Modules floatin on top. Please see my attached screen shot for reference, it provideas an idea on how it could be used.

Note: I aslo would like to see better menus with highlighted backgrounds as the one seen on Corvus; they provide the impression of Big Buttons=> they are easier to use.

Thanks for your hard work.
      Sincerely,
      Agustin V.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Suggestion on Improving Gantry 5

• Thank you very much for sticking with Gantry 5. You reaction is not untypical in that many members are initialy daunted at the change from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 but once they stick with it for a few hours they realise the dramatic improvements that it has.

Hydrogen is our most basic template for Gantry 5 - it doesn't have too may particles or customisable options, it really is primarily intended for those that want to build there own site from the ground up. Module variations would only apply to "modules" and Hydrogen does not include many of those at all. But what you really should be using in Gantry 5 is "block variations" - there are applied to the settings on particle on your layout (see my screenshot). Block variations are kind of equivalent to the "module class suffix" that you're used to using. The list of variations is shown in dropdown box (so no need to remember them all or go hunting for them in CSS files).

Hydrogen has two outlines (with their own respective layouts) - "Hydrogen - default" will apply to every page (since it is marked as default template) except those that have another outline specifically assigned (e.g. "hydrogen - home" outline assigned to the home menu item). If you are familiar with Gantry 4, we used to do exactly the same in Gantry 4 templates - we would have one verride template copy for the home page and then one default template (MASTER) for everything else - so really Gantry 5 does much the same thing. The difference in Gantry 5 layouts is that you have much more control over positions, positioning, content and styling for that layout than you had in Gantry 4.

You can set background images in some of of PAID template (e.g. Kraken, Requiem, Salient) this is done on the style tab of an outline where you can set a background for a section. I've also helped several people get something similar to Myriad working on their sites using these later templates.

Regarding the menus - have a look at the PAID template demos - they do have differently styled menus tha tmight well meet your needs.

Thank you for your feedback - this is an invaluable aid for us to make Gantry 5 even better in the future too. :)

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Suggestion on Improving Gantry 5

• Thanks for your reply. It is much clear now!

I don't like your latest templates. "specifically the menus". Perhaps I should explore them.

I built a site with Hydrogen and I am experiencing an issue with it, I was hopping you could help me with it.
      I have my menus on top of course...with rocksproket running right below in the show case section. My dropdown menu displays underneth the text when the second image is in current position. Please see my attached screen shot.

my website is: www.shoppingcenter.la

I appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks again.
      Have a good day.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Suggestion on Improving Gantry 5

• I don't see that roksprocket on your page now? Please put it back and I'll be happy to advise you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds