Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Feature request for Gantry 5

• Feature request for Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • I don't know if this is the correct forum or not for a feature request for Gantry 5. As a LONG time subscriber of RT, Gantry 5 was for me a "wait and see" moment for building sites. Now that I have played with it (on both Joomla and WP) and built a site with G5, I have found that G5 is still behind other frameworks like Helix3 for Joomla.

The features that seem to be missing are parallax backgrounds or images per section, and background videos per section. We have this capability with Helix3 but, we want to have a signle framework for both J and WP.

Is this in the pipeline for development? This would put G5 at the front of the framework pack, period. Right now we have to resort to particles and CSS to do this which adds time to projects.

Thanks!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Feature request for Gantry 5

• It's less of framework thing - but rather a template thing. We're trying to keep the Gantry 5 Framework "lean and mean" and by that we mean "fast" and not filling it with every conceivable feature that a template might require. We prefer to leave the "differentiation" in the templates themselves - to that end we also don't put the same particles in every template, only what the template actually needs. Some of the newer Gantry 5 template do have the ability to set a background image by section (not every section though).

Thank you for your suggestions though, I will pass your comments on to our DEVS.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Feature request for Gantry 5

• Thanks for reading my post. I definitely understand about the need for speed :)

I think minimally adding a background image setting in each section (with a fixed option to give the parallax effect) would only compromise a small amount of code to accomplish IMHO. The payoff is the time saved on project development.. I would take a millisecond of time added to page loads for saving 45mins or more per section to get it tweaked right especially for mobile.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• As I said, background image is already there for a section in the later templates (albeit not every section). The trouble is if we do this for every section all those "few milliseconds" add up. But... I have passed your comments on.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Gotcha!!!

The Hydrogen theme then I guess is the theme that needs the update to support background images. Thats what we've been working with due to it's flexibility, and being lightweight itself.

Maybe then Hydrogen could be updated with that setting and I think we'd have that base framework we've been looking for :)
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• It is for precisely the reasons that you have cited that the background images have not been added. Hydrogen is a minimalist theme with no bells and whistles in it to keep it extremely fast. Please feel free though to raise an issue on github and our DEVS can look into that if it's a popular request (Gantry 5 and Hydrogen issues are covered on github because they're open source). https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues

Regards, Mark.

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Mark

backgrounds that can be assigned per section are important -in all themes.

We may not elect to assign to all, but flexability is welcome.

Sean
    • The following users have thanked you: Terp

• Sean Carew
      Transformational Technologist
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • As I stated earlier, I have discussed this with our DEVS and they won't put in for every section in every template because it would slow down performance (whether or not you used it).

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds