Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 4&5 existing together happily

• neuclix
    • Hero Rocketeer

Gantry 4&5 existing together happily

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • In light of the following quote by MrT, I would like to learn more about the additional menu and the "template both the default"
      The reason for my question is that I enjoy using both frameworks (for different pages, of course) on the same website because there is less programming while I still get to learn.
      Thank you Mark

"Whilst Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 can co-exist in the same joomla instance quite happily it may well cause greater confusion for you (especially since installing a Gantry 5 template will install an additional menu and manke it and the template both the default). So, for this reason I encourage you to clone your site elsewhere and do you development/testing work there."
    • Thanks in advance,
      Steve Hodges
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Gantry 4&5 existing together happily

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • I don't understand what your question is? Please can you be more specific.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • neuclix
    • Hero Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 3 months ago
    • neuclix wrote:
      "Whilst Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 can co-exist in the same joomla instance quite happily it may well cause greater confusion for you (especially since installing a Gantry 5 template will install an additional menu and manke it and the template both the default). So, for this reason I encourage you to clone your site elsewhere and do you development/testing work there."

So,since this is the case, I just need to know which menu, AND which Template I wish to be the default.
      My Question is:
      Could you elaborate briefly on some things to watch out for when deciding how to work with the defaults?
      Template defaults and menu defaults and the way they interact have been a bit mind-boggling, but since I might insist on deving live for various reasons, I would just like some tips and/or tricks in understanding how default menus interact with default templates....for example, Can a Gantry 4 menu be the default for a Gantry 5 template?
      or vice versa, can a gantry 5 menu be the default for a gantry 4 template?
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by neuclix. Reason: typos
    • Thanks in advance,
      Steve Hodges
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 8 years 3 months ago
    • I can't answer the question since I don't under the motivation for requiring both to be active. I still stand by what I said earlier, clone your site. Install G5 and new template and remove G4 and template it will be much easier to understand what is going on. But I will explain a few of the issues.

1. The default menu item is what will drive the selection of the template in the first instance. So obviously if you set the menu item type to a G5 custom page and then set the default template to a G4 template then it's going to fail with a "G5 not loaded" error.
      2. the default template is what will be used for a menu item if no other template is specifically assigned to it.
      3. When using joomla menu manager the tabs that are shown therein depend on the default template that is set... I.e. if you set the default template to a g5 template then you won't see the "dropdown" tab normally associated with a G4 template.
      4. When using Joomla module manager and create a new Gantry 5 particle the particle choices shown will depend on the default template chosen, If you chose a g4 template then only the Gantry 5 core particles will show (not the template specific particles).

So, you can see from the above that it can get awefully complicated very quickly and also confusing. There are many other things too, those above are just the main "headlines". If you want to have both G4 & G5 and their respective template installed at the same tim ethen you can have this but set everything up to use one or the other (not both). So G5 menu default, G5 template default, G5 template assignments OR g4 menu default, G4 template default, G4 template assignments. Don't try and mix the two up, all one or all the other.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: neuclix

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds