Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Default layout - as in Gantry 4

• SOLVED Default layout - as in Gantry 4

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • When will it be possible to have a default layout page where you can toggle on/off what you want to use on the other layouts (just as you can with styles)? I'm a bit tired of having to load the default page on my 8 outlines each time I make changes.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Default layout - as in Gantry 4

• Eight outlines is a lot. To avoid having to create this many outlines you should try to keep the outline layout as only have module positions on the layout (just like you would have had with Gantry 4). In this way you can use the same outline for all your pages and just assign the modules to the positions and then use the familiar joomla assignments in the module to make those modules appear on the menu items that you want. Obviously you can also use particles directly on the layout for common items that would appear on all pages (e.g. menu, logo, copyright).

You can also create gantry 5 modules in joomla module manager, in which you can then add a particle - so this means you can then assign particles (within that module) to module positions too - this also means that you can share one particle across several outlines too.

There will be improvements to inheritance in the future but I can't say when they will be or if they will actually give you what you seek (it's subject to change).

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Default layout - as in Gantry 4

• Thanks for your quick respons. Actually I'm doing it, as you say. I'm only using the different Outlines to create page classes (using it for different backgrounds) and assigning them in G5. It's easier than having to add classes in the menu manager. So I'm looking so much forward
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Why do you need to add page classes? On the body tag there are already classes that you can use for that.

1. "itemid-xx" which tells you the specific menu item ID that is being used to display the page.
      2. "outline-xx" which tells you the specific outline ID that is being used to display the page.

Wouldn't "itemid-xx" meet your needs?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Wouldn't that mean that I had to put a lot of item-id's in my css? I have many subpages using the same background as the main menu item
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You can add it all in one CSS selector line though, no need to do many statements. I would think that this is easier to maintain. If you do have lots of menu items requiring the same background then you could create one outline for them and then use outline-xx in the CSS.

Personally I'd keep the number of outlines to an absolute minimum (one would be my target).

Regards, Mark.

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to MrT, moderators and administrators
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Hmmm you're already using the technique I suggested?

Regards, Mark.

• Yes! The easiest way to administrate the different backgrounds is through the Assignments in Gantry - and thereby give the pages an outline ID
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok so you are using outline-xx in preference to using itemid-xx as there are less outlines than menu items (which I can understand). But, you're creating lots of outlines and assigning them to menu items just for the purpose of getting a unique class that you can then use to change the backgrounds. In those circumstances, my preference would have been to use a page class on the menu item (as you originally suggested) rather than creating multiple outlines that you then have to maintain.

In all cases somewhere you have to aggregate (or create a collection/grouping of the menu items that need a unique background), you're choosing to do that on the assignments tab of an outline as opposed to on one CSS selector where all the itemids would be added).

But of course the choice is yours to make.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by MrT.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds