Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 update?

• SOLVED Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 update?

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Hi Guys

SLOWLY (I mean slowly) working my way around Gantry 5 - I like the new layout!

The one thing I do like is the News Ticker.

This is 2 questions rolled into 1. I have a new domain using Gantry 5 and one using Gantry 4.1.29

Is there any way of updating the Gantry 4 website to Gantry 5 - Its running the Haydron v1.3 template. If this is too difficult and risky to update is there any way of getting a news ticker similar to the one in Gantry 5 Xenon as a plugin or module for the Haydron template

Appreciate any responses

Justin
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 update?

• First I would never do this on a production site because it's going to take some time to get working. Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 are completely different frameworks. They can happily co-exist on the same joomla instance but you really only want one or the other. So these are the steps to migrate.

1. backup backup backup!
      2. install Gantry 5 on your Gantry 4 site
      3. install Gantry 5 template that you would like to use.
      4. If it's not already, check to make sure that the menu you want to use is set as default.
      5. set the Gantry 5 "default" outline as the default template
      6. uninstall Gantry 4 template
      7. uninstall Gantry 4
      8. Check all you modules and ensure that they are assigned to module positions that do actually exist on the layout of the default outline of the Gantry 5 template.

That's your starting point... no doubt there will be many other changes that you will need to make too. These could take you quite a while.

As regards to an alternate new ticker that will work on Gantry 4... Sure you can use roksprocket - check out the demos. Or look on JED for another news ticker. I have to say that I would not be undertaking a whole site conversion from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 just to get a news ticker particle.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Justin R Dawson

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 update?

• Thank you Mark as always

Clear precise answer - If it was easy I was going to do it - If it was a very risky operation I was staying clear

Im off to look at the news ticker you sugested!

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds