Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Unable to Save Home-Particles Layout

• webjo
    • Rocketeer

Unable to Save Home-Particles Layout

Posted 8 years 7 hours ago
    • I use a temporary URL provided by my hosting company to manage my Joomla sites over SSL. I'm testing out Gantry 5 (5.2.15) on a Joomla 3.5.1 installation that's in a subdirectory (i.e. server.hostingcompany.com/~accountname/s...inistrator/index.php ). I also have a subdomain set up for the site (i.e. subdirectory.testdomain.com)

Everything seems to work except that I get a 403 error when I try to make changes to the Home - Particles Layout. I can make and save changes to everything else in the Gantry 5 configuration (including Default - Layout), just not the Home page layout.

After seeing the forum post at www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry-solved-...sues?start=0#1207963 , I contacted my hosting company about the issue and they responded:

"...you were triggering a ModSecurity rule, so I've whitelisted it on subdirectory.testdomain.com for you now. Please note that you'll need to work on the site directly using subdirectory.testdomain.com and a modified hosts file, rather than via temporary URL, to avoid this issue."

Whitelisting the domain allowed me to save the Home-Layout configuration using the subdirectory.testdomain.com/administrator/ URL.

However, they're basically saying that I can't use the temporary URL (and hence the shared SSL) to admin my sites if I want to use Gantry 5. So I would have to add at least a domain validated SSL to all of my client domains to be able to admin Gantry 5 under SSL.

For me this is a major drawback in moving from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 (as cool as Gantry 5 is).

This is a top-tier popular Joomla hosting company that I'm using so I was wondering if others have come across this issue and if/how you resolved/found a workaround for it.

I realize that I could still manage the site using the temporary URL and then log out and back in under http: just to manage the Home - Particles Layout, but that's a pretty clunky workaround.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Unable to Save Home-Particles Layout

Posted 8 years 4 hours ago
    • What you're running into isn't a limitation of the software, it's a limitation of your server environment and of the Apache Mod_Security plugin...

Is the only reason you're using the shared URL for SSL? Why not just install a free self-signed certificate subdirectory.testdomain.com? Presumably once you go live you'll be getting an authority signed certificate?

I'm not an Apache expert... but why can't your hosting company whitelist the shared URL?
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 hours ago by Matt.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

Posted 7 years 11 months ago
    • The issue happens mostly because of we are sending JSON encoded html (and some js), which by some rules are considered to be an attack. Gantry 4 doesn't have power to create layouts like this, so it doesn't send that data.

I need to think if there's any way to work around this issue.
    • The following users have thanked you: webjo

• Gantry 5, enjoy!
    • webjo
    • Rocketeer

• Matt: Yes the only reason I'm using the temporary URL to mananage my sites (development and live) is to take advantange of the shared SSL. I guess the self-signed certificate is a possiblity. Thanks for the suggestion. The host simply said "We are not going to be able to whitelist ModSecurity rules for the server's hostname, as this would impact all sites on the server."

Matias: Thank you for the explanation. Curious to understand why it is only an issue for the Home - Paricles Layout. All outher layouts seem to work fine.
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

• I have likely fixed your issue, but I haven't tested it with mod_security yet. So please go and install our latest CI build and try it out.

Please also report me back if we managed to fix the issue for you and many others like you. :)
    • Gantry 5, enjoy!
    • webjo
    • Rocketeer

• Testing it now.
    • webjo
    • Rocketeer

• Thanks Matias. I tested the CI build for an hour or so. I was able to make and save changes to the Home-Particles Layout. That is until my IP address was blocked by mod_security on the server.

I asked my host if he could provide any details, but there weren't any to give: "Not much information to give unfortunately, you were got by Mod_security, it blocked you. The exact specifics are hard to come by as you did not trigger a modsecurity rule on the site."
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

• Well, I guess it was worth to try. Now we just need to figure out why you were blocked out. Or if it happens again...
    • Gantry 5, enjoy!
    • webjo
    • Rocketeer

• It was worth a try. Immediately after my host unblocked my IP address, I tried working on the site again and was blocked again.
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

• Server has to log the reason for the IP blocking somewhere. If you are able to find out what the reason was, we can (likely) fix it.
    • Gantry 5, enjoy!

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds