Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Tandem Gantry Install

• Tandem Gantry Install

Posted 7 years 9 months ago
    • Hi Everyone,

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

My website has been developed with Gantry 4, and I've been looking at changing to Gantry 5.

Is there a way I can install Gantry 5 & selected template to play around with, whilst still maintaining my Gantry 4 site as the live site until such time as I'm comforatable with G5 and the new site, then "Switch" over?

Thanks in advance
      Barry
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Tandem Gantry Install

• Technically, yes. But I would counsel against this approach as it makes things much more difficult. You would be better to clone your site to a test area and then get everything working on Gantry 5, then clone the site back to production once you have finished.

You can have Gantry4 and Gantry5 co-exist but it get complicated trying to have certain menu items use Gantry 4 and Gantry 4 template vs Gantry 5 ones.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Tandem Gantry Install

• Thanks Mark,

That's what I was thinking. I've contacted my hosting company asking how I'd be able to setup a test/dev site without interfering with my live site, waiting on their reply.

Cheers,
      Barry
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Tandem Gantry Install

• You can use a subdomain or subfolder onb your existing site.

Can I just remind you though that Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 are very different, also Gantry 4 template don't work on Gantry 5 so you will need to use a new template on your Gantry5 site. Read all the documentation on Gantry 5 first. I would also recommend that you load yourself a rocketlauncher copy of your Gantry 5 template so you can see exactly how we built the demo. If you were just to install the standalone template on your cloned site you will find it harder to understand.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds