Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Background Video atom - Freebie by MrT

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Background Video atom - Freebie by MrT

Posted 5 years 4 months ago
    • A requirement I often see mentioned in the forum is the desire to have a background video playing on website pages. So, I've created this atom which I've called "bgvideo". This atom will work on any Gantry 5 template and any of the CMS's that Gantry 5 supports.

1. To install it:

Joomla:
      From the ZIP file copy bgvideo.yaml and bgvideo.html.twig to /templates/TEMPLATENAME/custom/particles (note you may need to create this folder).
      GRAV
      From the ZIP file copy bgvideo.yaml and bgvideo.html.twig to /user/data/gantry5/themes/TEMPLATENAME/particles (note you may need to create this folder).
      Wordpress
      From the ZIP file copy bgvideo.yaml and bgvideo.html.twig to /wp-content/themes/TEMPLATENAME/custom/particles (note you may need to create this folder).

2. On you base outline > page settings - drag the bgvideo atom on to the atom section. Then click on the "settings" cog and add your local video files (mp4, ogv, webm) and SAVE.

Note that the video play beneath all other page content so if your header, footer, or other sections have background colors or images on them this will obscure the video beneath. I have added a checkbox that you can check (just for testing purposes) that will remove all the background colors and images from your sections but you should actually do this on the "styles" tab of your outline so that you can be more selective about this.

Enjoy!

Regards, Mark.

P.s. If you are looking for some free videos to use try these links...

https://coverr.co/
      https://www.rawshorts.com/stockvideo
    • Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by MrT.
    • The following users have thanked you: Alain, Gerry Payne, KnightRider, tgath, MICHAEL KOONTZ, Kim Bare, Brian Bubser, Patrick Mc Cabe, Zbigniew Sokal

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • pdowse
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Background Video atom - Freebie by MrT

Posted 5 years 4 months ago
    • That's awesome - many thanks!
    • The following users have thanked you: Kim Bare

• Good things come to those who wait - but it's only what's left over from those who don't
    • tonnick
    • Hero Rocketeer

Posted 5 years 3 months ago
    • hello!
      this is a good idea, but this is quite difficult to manage as an atom.
      Is ther any way to manage it from a particle instead ? Will you add the possibilty to include youtube videos ?
      thx !
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• tonnick = Sorry no, it's an atom because it applies a background to the page and there can only be one of those. IF you want a video That is not a background to the page then you should be using a "video" particle instead (available in some RT templates). No, sorry, I won't be adding the possibility to include youtube videos.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • tonnick
    • Hero Rocketeer

• ok thx I understand, but then, if my subsciption concerns a template which does not have such particle, how can I get/add it ? do I have to buy another subscription to another template, just for the particle required ?!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• AS we don't sell particles separately, yes you would have to buy a subscription to a template that did include it.

If you want to know how to copy a Gantry 5 particle from one template to another please read my tutorial here in Gantry 5 Official Documentation here .

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Gerry Payne

• Re: Background Video atom - Freebie by MrT

Posted 4 years 9 months ago
    • Hi All

Always love a site which has a video in the background, so long as the video looks professional and its not completly slowing down the page loading.

Have you any examples of this atom being used on some pages?

Thanks in advance.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• No we don't - but just give it a whirl - it'll only take you 5 mins to try it.

Regards, Mark.
    • pdowse
    • Hero Rocketeer

• assur3
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 4 years 7 months ago
    • Hi,

I managed to get the video in the background all worked well except, now on mobile my menus are missing. The show up behind a computer but not on phones. Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds