Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Bootstrap 4

• Bootstrap 4

Posted 5 years 2 months ago
    • I'm thinking about starting to use Gantry 5 for my new templates but I want to use Bootstrap 4. I have bootstrap for overrides for all the core Joomla! component and modules so what can I do to get Gantry 5 to load Bootstrap 4
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Bootstrap 4

• Joomla currently uses (and is tightly integrated with) Bootstrap v2.1 and until they update that we're stuck on that version too. Joomla 4 (not yet available) will use Bootstrap 4 and we intend to get our products to work on Joomla 4.

You could download the Bootstrap4 code and add it on the page settings tab of the base outline, but I'm not sure what the effect will be as it could break the existing functionality that required Bootstrap 2.1.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Bootstrap 4

• Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to decide between using Gantry 5 and using this regular Joomla! 3. x template that uses Bootstrap 4 here: github.com/sniggle/joomla-bootstrap4-template

So my thoughts are use Gantry 5 but include bootstrap 4 and their templates overrides but my concern is if there is somewhere Gantry is loading bootstrap 2.x that I need to disable. I appreciate any insight you have. Thanks.
    • Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Kevin Campbell.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Joomla uses Bootstrap 2.1
      Gantry uses Bootstrap 2.1 (which is loaded by Joomla not Gantry).

You cannot disable it.

That template you intend to use gets around Joomla limitations of Bootstrap by overridding all the things that Joomla presently uses Bootstrap 2.1 for.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to be creating tons of overrides that change Joomla Core functionality just for the sake of using Bootstrap 4 now. I can't really think of anything that Bootstrap 4 does that can't be done in a different way with the existing functionality of Joomla and Gantry 5. What are you going to do when Joomla 4 comes out? You will then be faced with the task of removing and/or changing all the Myriad of overrides that have been created.

In my opinion it's better to stick with CORE Joomla and CORE Gantry 5 functionality and let Joomla and RocketTheme do any necessary changes to make them work on Joomla 4 (which will include Bootstrap 4).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Bootstrap 4

• When Joomla 4 comes out then I expect that I can just delete all those overrides that are there just for the core Joomla since they won't be needed.

So are you suggesting in my custom modules and components that I don't use the bootstrap classes and use Gantry classes? Because if I'm using Bootstrap 2 classes in all my code then I will have a lot of work to then update all my code to use the Bootstrap 4 classes. Gantry won't help with that unless I'm missing something.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• If you have already written lots of code using Boostrap 4 then you are right that nothing Joomla or we do is going to help you get that working. Gantry 5 itself does not use Bootstrap 4. As I already said you could try loading Bootstrap 4 in Gantry 5 but I suspect things will break - but give it a go. If it doesn't work out then you will need to use that other template for now and not use Gantry5 until Joomla 4 is released.

I can only underline again that creating lots of overrides is a really bad idea, we learnt that lesson the hard way with Gantry 4 and we went out of our way not to repeat that mistake with Gantry 5 (which has absolutely minimal joomla overrides).

Good luck with you project.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds